Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

hard cold starts

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2004, 10:04 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
Unhappy hard cold starts

My car has a hard time starting on cold mornings (especially when the temperature is below freezing). The engine cranks over fine, but it does so about 2-3 times longer than normal before it finally fires up. It sounds like it wants to catch several times but than it just keeps cranking unit it finally starts (and it always does). Sounds almost like its starving for fuel. I tried a few things to eliminate the problem (replaced the spark plugs with NGK Iridiums, replaced the air filter with a K&N panel filter). The car is an 02' WRX with 58 000KM on it & its stock other than a removed air silencer. I advised my local dealership of this problem and they blew it off saying that as long as the car starts I shouldn't worry about it. I don't agree with that to say the least.
I will replace the fuel filter and battery as its losing some of its juice, and see if that will eliminate this problem.
In the meanwhile I'm open to suggestions.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:08 PM

When you turn the key, do you crank the engine straight away?

My car seems to prefer it if I let the fuel pump run before I try to crank it. I turn the key to the normal run position until the pump's whine stops, then crank the engine. Otherwise I often get the same problem that you experience.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:28 PM

if its below freezing, all cars have a hard time starting

installe a battery warmer, or a freeze plug warmer, maybe even switch to a heavier weight oil ? for better lube at cold start up

im surprised the dealership didnt try to sell you something

yuk
Old 11-11-2004, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by mr_yuk
maybe even switch to a heavier weight oil ? for better lube at cold start up
Er, are you sure? Usually oils for colder temperatures are lighter so they don't behave like tar when cold. Putting heavier oil in will put more strain on the starter.

The owner's manual suggests oil weights for different climates, but the regular 10-30 should be ok unless the temperature is well below freezing.
Old 11-11-2004, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lorry
Er, are you sure? Usually oils for colder temperatures are lighter so they don't behave like tar when cold. Putting heavier oil in will put more strain on the starter.

The owner's manual suggests oil weights for different climates, but the regular 10-30 should be ok unless the temperature is well below freezing.

Acutally, No im not sure. I always get the Oil weight/Viscosity thing mixed up.

I lived in a cold weather state for many years, and my old chevy needed different gear/diff oil during the winter, because like you said, it was like sludge during startup and the first few miles.
Old 11-11-2004, 06:06 PM

Car Info: 04 STI
Talking

Lorry has the right idea. First, lighter oils(lower first number) are what flow better in lower temperatures. And anyways you are supposed to be putting in 5w30 all the time. Synthetic oil flows better even though the viscosity numbers may be the same(Mobil 1 is my favorite because if you need an extra quart you can find it easily). Another good point is waiting for the fuel pump to pressurize the fuel line. At least that's what i think is going on. I used to live in the northeast, and in the winter I tried to keep my gas tank closer to full than empty to cut down on condensation in the fuel tank. In the summer keeping your tank at least 1/4 full probably keeps your fuel pump a little cooler. Yeah I know these are generalities, and stuff rarely fails these days but it makes me feel better.
Old 11-12-2004, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by monsterboy
Lorry has the right idea. First, lighter oils(lower first number) are what flow better in lower temperatures. And anyways you are supposed to be putting in 5w30 all the time. Synthetic oil flows better even though the viscosity numbers may be the same(Mobil 1 is my favorite because if you need an extra quart you can find it easily). Another good point is waiting for the fuel pump to pressurize the fuel line. At least that's what i think is going on. I used to live in the northeast, and in the winter I tried to keep my gas tank closer to full than empty to cut down on condensation in the fuel tank. In the summer keeping your tank at least 1/4 full probably keeps your fuel pump a little cooler. Yeah I know these are generalities, and stuff rarely fails these days but it makes me feel better.
I actually noticed that if I let the fuel pump pressuzie the lines by waiting a few seconds before cranking over the engine it generally starts easier. I just wasn't sure if thats a normal thing, although it makes a lot of sense. I'll keep doing that from now on. As for the oil, I also use Mobil 1 full Synthetic 5W 30. It works great.
Old 11-14-2004, 11:29 AM

Car Info: MY00RS25
I run mobil 1 5w-30 in winters and 10w-30 rest of the year, but again, I live in sunny california, but I spend a lot of my winter in Tahoe.
Old 11-15-2004, 12:44 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru TS
all cars have problems starting up in the deep frosty winter. Thats why car manufacturers are making engine block heaters. Its suppose to "defreeze" your engine so it runs smooth. As a suby lover, try not to start your car on a cold engine. Either install an engine block heater or after ignition of the engine, keep it idle for about a minute (wait for the rev to drop a bit) until you start moving. Either way lets your car warm up before heading to the busy streets.
Old 11-15-2004, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jesse00
Either way lets your car warm up before heading to the busy streets.
Yup, it feels more friendly to the engine to let it idle for a couple of minutes. It seems to reduce the clutch shudder as well.
Old 11-16-2004, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by OneOBS
Your temp sensor isn't working or isn't working correctly. It tells the ECU the engine is cold and needs a richer mixture. All the other posts have good info, but don't address the problem. Replace the sensor.
Where is this temperature sensor located? This would be the water temp sensor right? Sorry, I feel kind of novice, but this is my first Subaru and I haven't owned it for long.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:30 AM

Just ordered a new sensor. $ 40.68 (CDN). Hopefully this will fix the problem. Thanks for the info.