Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Getting a new STI used to have a saleen

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2004, 11:02 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
Be careful. The fact that the STi has AWD doesn't mean it can't spin. Many of the owners have had some close calls.

1. No the "whoosh" sound doesn't happen. The sound you're talking about is generated by having a Blow Off Valve, which you don't need for the stock STi.

2. Pretty close. The STi runs low 13s in the quarter and it doesn't take much to hit 12s.
Old 09-19-2004, 04:45 PM

Car Info: 2005 STi Silver
u can easily mod it to get some good numbers, and also the woosh sound is a blow off vavle yes, and the stock sti does have a BOV, but its quiet so you cant hear it, if u do want that cool sound u can buy an aftermarket one
Old 09-23-2004, 04:15 PM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
Right now it is just a rumor for 06. With the HID headlights you dont need fog lights. If you want fogs I suggest that you buy the car w/o them and get JDM fogs. They are big like the 2002-2003 fogs. BOV's are very easy to install. If you do the silencer delete mod for free, you can hear the stock BOV more. The differences between the 04 and 05 are interior, wheels width & offset, rear endlinks, rear fender flares, black headlight housings.

Nick
Old 09-24-2004, 08:40 AM

Car Info: 2010 370z Roadster, 2008 Frontier CrewCab
This is not to dog, but if you've had that many spinout and close calls, I'd suggest some driving lessons/courses. Even AutoX will give you some experience for what your car can and cannot do. And it's fun! An STi will not allow you to defy the laws of physics (traction, control, etc).

I have a WRX and I'll be the first to tell you that the car's performance potential exceeds my driving skills. The trick is not to push it.
Old 09-24-2004, 09:40 AM

Car Info: 02 Turbo Jetta,EVO
Originally Posted by Gogats
well according to Saleens numbers right off the web site the STI should run neck and neck with it in the 1/4 and get it everywhere else, except top speed

WOW!!! And what's the price difference again?? Oh and it has 4 doors too!!!
Old 10-04-2004, 09:01 PM

I used to have a Saleen, 1988 #318, back in the day. Now I have an '04 STI. Bought it on eBay, and got it cheap - $28.8k with 19.5 miles, showroom queen, never been test driven, boost gauge, wheel locks, alarm, self-dimming mirror, and 500 Subarubucks to boot.

Whatta bargain!
Old 10-05-2004, 04:36 AM

Car Info: 02 Turbo Jetta,EVO
Originally Posted by Reno STI
I used to have a Saleen, 1988 #318, back in the day. Now I have an '04 STI. Bought it on eBay, and got it cheap - $28.8k with 19.5 miles, showroom queen, never been test driven, boost gauge, wheel locks, alarm, self-dimming mirror, and 500 Subarubucks to boot.

Whatta bargain!

Wow!!! way to go man!!! (Ok tell me the secret.. Where did you go??).. lol

Ps: Starbucks?? Damn.. was it a place where you had to drive back and FREE Coffee was your companion???

Quick Reply: Getting a new STI used to have a saleen