Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Gear Changes MY04 WRX

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 05:01 PM

Car Info: MY04 WRX
Gear Changes MY04 WRX

I have problems shifting into gear in my 04 WRX sedan. The gears most affected are 1st, 5th, and R. I always completely disengage the clutch to the floor and it is still hard to shift into first at lights (no I am not moving, stand still). Fifth gear is tough too because the gear shift always feels like it is grinding into the gear (there is A LOT of vibration in the shifter shifting into 5th). To get into reverse I usually have to let off the clutch and then disengage the clutch again before it will go into reverse. The car has 1200 miles on it and I just don't understand why it is so damn difficult to change gears. I do not have SHORTTHROW shifter. My BMW was like butter to shift. Is there likely something wrong or is this common with a Japanese car? Will changing the fluid help?
Old 02-01-2004, 08:49 PM

Will it ever shift like your BMW? no. Can it be improved. yes.

First, it will break in a little. I found that swapping the bushing to be very worthwhile. I have an ES bushing, but if I did again I'd do the KartBoy. It made the shifts more solid (5th) and made it go into reverse easier. I think reverse was also helped by breaking it in (7K here)

As far as first goes, I never had a problem from a stop, with or without the bushing swap. From even the slighted roll, just completely disengaging never helped get it in. Now I can get it in from a roll, no grinding, by double clutching. I bet it also bumps and bogs from a stop? Hard to get it really smooth? I don't usually double clutch first from a stop, but it gives the sweetest smoothest launches you will ever feel. No need to rev high, 2500 is great.

Bob
Old 02-01-2004, 11:14 PM

i think that somethings wrong with your trany/clutch. when i first got mine i had problems shifting it into reverse, but now theres no problems(knocking on wood) i have 3000mi on my car now. BUt i never had any problems with 1st or 5th gear.
Old 02-02-2004, 05:42 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
I've always had problems shifting into 1st and Reverse. Don't really know why but there doesn't seem to be anything really wrong. I have about 12k on my '03 wrx now. Sometimes it just seems like you have to get it just right at just the right angle and everything to get it to go in real smoothly.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:35 PM

Car Info: MY04 WRX
Do your shifters vibrate a lot on the freeway when you try to shift into fifth? It isn't a grind persay but it almost feels like one. It is hard to explain but it just doesn't feel right to me. The problem is since the car is brand new I don't know how to tell when something is just "the way it is" or if the car has a problem. I have never owned a Subaru before nor have I owned a Turbocharged car so this is all new to me. I am really used to the way that my BMW drove (smooooth).
Old 02-03-2004, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by SubNub
Do your shifters vibrate a lot on the freeway when you try to shift into fifth?
No, I've never had the vibration problem, but alot of others have.

I don't know anything about the BMW tranny, but my guess is that it is a drive by wire system like in the volvo S60R. Those systems have a completely different feel. A lot is done for you, and you don't get the feedback like in the WRX. Personally, I don't want the ECU mucking about in all aspects of my driving. One of the first mods people do is replace the factory shifter bushing. it is too soft and makes for sloppy shifting.

Bob
Old 02-03-2004, 05:41 PM

Car Info: 05 CGM FXT STi
you'll be fine. If it ever grinds, take it to the dealership and have them document it so it's in their system. If your trans happens to break (like mine did) you will have a paper trail of pre existing problems so they wont be able to deny your warranty.

Some people (like myself) get unlucky and have their trans go bad in a few thousand miles. Others never have any problems. since my new trans I've put 16,000 miles on the ODO and no problems. Go figure!

The 5mt is a very old design and Subaru hasnt taken the time or money to redevelop the synchros, the gears or the "Case flex" issues. Sure you can get STI tranny and motor mounts and new shifter bushings and so on, but when it comes down to it, this tranny is a bare bones (no synchro in reverse) PITA (sometimes). And remember, smoother is not always better when it comes to transmissions. the tranny will always feel "notchy", sure, after a few thousand miles it settles a little but unless you feel grinding, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 02-10-2004, 08:29 PM

Car Info: E36 BMW 325is
SubNub
Do your shifters vibrate a lot on the freeway when you try to shift into fifth? It isn't a grind persay but it almost feels like one. It is hard to explain but it just doesn't feel right to me. The problem is since the car is brand new I don't know how to tell when something is just "the way it is" or if the car has a problem. I have never owned a Subaru before nor have I owned a Turbocharged car so this is all new to me. I am really used to the way that my BMW drove (smooooth).
I gotta Bimmer(e36 325) and it sure as hell has one of the best trannys out there...
The 5th gear vibration is most likely caused by bad transmission mount... (the rubber piece that connects the axel and the tranny)