Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

G35 vs. EVO vs. M3 vs. STI - Drive Review

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2005, 05:47 PM

Dude what are you smoking??

i call bs on this. at 120 and 130 my sti feels like you are going 90 and is more than stable. The hood scope shakes a little as well as the wing. I don't how you could say the car feels unstable. Good car for someone that doesn't get above 100mph often? haha yea right. Nobody listen this crap.

haha you liked the g35 best out of all those cars. That's sad man. Maybe you should be a bicycle.

Last edited by slow04wrx; 05-17-2005 at 05:50 PM.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:04 PM

Car Info: 1990 thing
maybe the one he drove had some kind of suspension/alignment issue. i'm not sure the mods are going to like all the references to extra-legal activities.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:32 PM

out of what he drove he selected to slowest car and least performing. kinda sad... i like the looks of the g35 but the eingine and over all performance is garbage! i work for bmw i love the m3. brute power and killer cornering. with suspension tuned for the track.

sti drives like a dream alot easier to drive then the m3. handling is great, percision like even stock but......like all cars there is room for improvement and tunning to what you want it do.

i havent driven the evo so i can comment

i have driven a g35 and 350z track eddition and i must say that im dissaponted in performance per dollar. now if all you care about is look i still wouldnt go with this choise

sti or m3 all the way.

i think comparisons should be left to profesionals since false bs cas sway possilbe buyers to one car or another.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:21 PM

Car Info: a prius, a miata, & 2 m3's
The 7k turbo kit on the g35 wont put you in the same league of the M3's engine responsiveness. While my m3 doesnt put down as much power as my STi, it is infinitely more responsive. I was deciding between the G35 and STi, and decided to get the Sti because frankly the G35 is boring and underpowered.

Oh and the Sti feels stable at high speeds. I've had mine to 150 no problem. Feels great at 105 on the back straight of sears point raceway, too. Cruising at 120 is fine... A little noisy though.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:44 PM

I think the problem is this guys story. He is probably full of it. They had all those cars to beat on???

He defied psychics and went 65 in 2nd. His post sounds like he is doing a story for creative writing or something. Obvious crap. Enjoy your pos g35.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by sabishii
I, on the other hand, will THANK Blackiechan for the INCREDIBLE amount of effort he put into making such a long post that makes a noble attempt to give his own personal experiences to help others in making decisions.

You others should try to respect someone's opinion and not call it "bs" (why would he write so much just to "bs"???).

Besides:

It would be nice if you guys learned to read too.
i do know how to read...that is why i replied.. amazing concept.

i applaud his effort but.... like i sid before he should alow the profesional drivers to make comments on the cars on and off the track. this would be more accurate to those looking for accurate information on these cars.

if pro's ares left to make the comments on the cars you can gett buba that drove a truck that handles like ish for 10 years. all of a sudden jump behind the wheel of a camero (stock), and his oppinion is that i handles on rails when in reality it dose not.

personally im glad he found a car that fits him. but the title of this thread is a bit missleading. its more like he wants oppinions on the cars. not that hes making a writeup on them himself.

Last edited by adrian; 05-18-2005 at 12:58 AM.
Old 05-18-2005, 02:02 AM

His story is bs man, it sounds like he is practing his journalism or something. "as i crested the beautiful horizon the g35 swiftly and gracefully excelled through the on coming corners with the greatest of ease".

The real story is douche bag got a g35 to pimp hoes, and then he realized he payed too much for an overpriced boat, and is trying to screw other people to make himself feel better. ahahahha

Anyhow I will match his g35 vs my sti anyday at speeds over 100, and we will see who is stable and who isn't. (Although 375 lbs provides a lot of downforce)
Old 05-18-2005, 05:15 AM

never driven

I'm with those that think this is BS. Not a lot of people have actually driven all 4 of those cars, and although I can't say I've been up to 140 in anything but my own subie (which holds the road @ 140 as well as at 80...), I have had that chance, and I can tell you flat out that the acceleration "feel" of G35 is nothing like the other cars mentioned. It puts up respectable #'s (but about a second slower to 60 than the other 3), but someone looking for "an occasional track car" would never buy a G, the handling is too soft, it's a luxury car.

There's also all sorts of subtle mistakes in his descriptions that would make me think that he's never driven these cars, just dreamed about it. And maybe things are different in Dallas than up here, but I don't care WHO your dad is, NOBODY takes an STi off my lot without a salesperson in the car, and NOBODY drops the clutch repeatedly @5500 on a test drive @ my store, otherwise you just bought yourself a car. I can't imagine a BMW dealer was any different with an M3. When I sold Jag, we didn't even test drive the XJR's and XKR's without a deposit because nobody wants to buy one of those cars with miles on them.

Of course, I have been wrong before.... but I don't think this is one of those times.
Old 05-18-2005, 10:05 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
I'm not calling BS, maybe it was defeative, but as you can obviously tell I own an STi and it's fine at speed. It's a little louder due to the aerodynamics but it isn't as loud as what people exaggerate to be (I don't think so anyway). And as far as performance for the money, the STi owns all. By the way, test drive an EVO MR (if you can find one) and it will change your decision, I promise.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:38 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
I just want to know what salesman lets you take out a 50 or even 30k car and beat on it.

That said, if I had 50k to spend on a performance car I'd buy a c6 or a used zo6 vette, my buddy bought a 2003 zo6 for 35k and it is safe for me to say it's the fastset and best handling car I've ever been in.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:29 AM

sitting at an auction house

OK Blackiechan, I will admit that there's a chance (albeit a small one) that if your dad's in the business, you might be able to talk a new dealer into letting you test drive a few of these cars, however, there is ABSOLUTELY NO WAY, that an auction house would let you thrash a bunch of used performance cars.

Who insures that car if you wreck it? In most states, since they've got the title, it's on their head. Who picks up the tab if you blow the clutch out of one of those cars? You? .... no The manufacturer?... Heck no, Subie and Mitsu barely warranty their owners STi's and EVO's. There's too much risk on the part of the auction company, and they stand to gain absolutely nothing from allowing you to test drive the car, since they get their fee regardless of whether you buy it or someone else does.

Furthermore, let's say for a second that I, and the rest of these people actually believe you..... The sample of cars that you drove is massively skewed, since the only used STi that I'd let go to auction is one that's beaten senseless and needs work. Same w/M3, EVO, etc.....

I'm all about sharing info that people have about their shopping process, but the extent to which your observations, even if true, would help anyone, are minimal. And if you're really looking for a car you can occasionally track, grow some ***** and grab a Z instead of that Infiniti crap.
Old 05-19-2005, 11:24 AM

I know many people who have driven very expensive high perf vehicles and all agree the sti feels amazingly solid at high speeds. So.... basically we are calling you out for incorrect statements, whether it's your opinion or not it's wrong.

Quick Reply: G35 vs. EVO vs. M3 vs. STI - Drive Review