Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

fuel leak in cold weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2004, 06:30 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
There is a TSB on this, there is another thread here where I uploaded a scan of it:

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...528#post388528

BTW welcome to the i-Club

Peaty
Old 01-15-2004, 04:35 AM

Car Info: Blaze yellow WRX 2002
HJappened to me too. Thois winter has had some cold days and I had the smell too.

The dealer took my car in for service and I told him about it. He called me back and told me about the problem and how it is a known issue. Said they are goign to fix it but that Subaru does not have the part avaliable right now. Said it is goign to be 1-2 weeks. THey are goign to pay for a rental which will be crappy no doubt. But I am still concearned- how could it take 2 weeks to fix this? How can they not have that part in stock??

I hope nothing fishy is going on.

Yet they still insist nothing is wrong with my front wheels which make a definate thumping sound.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:42 AM

Dealers suck
Old 01-19-2004, 05:30 AM

Worth a try.

Get it done the right way and let them use the proper stuff from Subaru so if your car catches fire a month from now you can say hey not my fault it is Subaru's fault for faulty parts.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:52 PM

I had the same problem with mine a few weeks ago up in the Sierras. The dealer said that they would tighten everything in the hopes of fixing it, but the weather hasn't been cold enough recently to test the fix. They claimed not to have heard of this problem which I guess is possible in the SF Bay area.

Incidentally, my car is outside of its basic warranty, but emissions equipment has a 50,000 mile warranty. Would this retrofit come under the emissions warranty? I already had to pay them $60 to do the initial tightening.
Old 01-27-2004, 06:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
From what I've seen if you're out of the 3/36 warranty you'll be charged for this repair. The fuel lines aren't specifically covered under the 5/60 powertrain or 8/80 emission warranties. Sad but true. Of course if this becomes an actual recall things will be different.
I tightened all the clamps on mine and the problem has not come back after a few weeks of the continuing extreme cold here in the Northeast.
Old 02-02-2004, 04:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
I have my car at the dealer right now for this problem and I am at 40k+. My extended warranty is going to pay for it and they will also pay for a rental for 5 days (the dealer will pay for any of the days over the five). To fix this they will need to replace and shorten the fuel pipe (part # 17544AA134) and replace and lengthen the hose ( part # 807707140) by 30mm. I got this info from a thread on the WRX powerplant section. There is a service bulliten somewhere in that thread that you can print and show to the dealer. There is also a phone # for subaru that you should call if your local dealer is going to make you pay for it. Some of the guys were told that they would have to pay for the repair and after they called this # they got it fixed for free. From what Ive read these parts are located under the intake manifold. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited by MO REX; 02-02-2004 at 04:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:23 PM
VIP Member

Originally posted by MO REX
I have my car at the dealer right now for this problem and I am at 40k+. My extended warranty is going to pay for it and they will also pay for a rental for 5 days (the dealer will pay for any of the days over the five). To fix this they will need to replace and shorten the fuel pipe (part # 17544AA134) and replace and lengthen the hose ( part # 807707140) by 30mm. I got this info from a thread on the WRX powerplant section. There is a service bulliten somewhere in that thread that you can print and show to the dealer. There is also a phone # for subaru that you should call if your local dealer is going to make you pay for it. Some of the guys were told that they would have to pay for the repair and after they called this # they got it fixed for free. From what Ive read these parts are located under the intake manifold. Hope this helps. Good luck.
Actually I had to pay $100.
Old 02-05-2004, 04:28 PM
VIP Member

Im going to call SOA @ 1800subaru3 and see if they will refund the $100 deductable since this is a common problem. Ill just tell them if they want to sell me a subaru every 3 years they need to refund my money or I will start looking at Toyotas, Nissans and Hondas. It cant hurt to try.

Quick Reply: fuel leak in cold weather