Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

failed smog CA inspection 3 times (was: Smog Help!)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 06:11 PM

Car Info: 2004 PSM STi
might try cat anyway... stupid subaru will not even take alook at the car without me paying..... lame lame lame....
Old 06-26-2008, 06:51 PM

Stupid question but did you try to disconnect the battery so that all the adaptives are reset.

Your car is probably still running thinking it has all the mods on it. It will slowly relearn but it will take a while, hence the battery disconnect.

Did you replace the stock MAF back on? Was it thrown around while it was off?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:01 PM

no way haha i baby my parts.. it was set on a clean bench until it was put back on..... and i had the AP removed completely for a week ..... i read your other post... about your smog test at a shop? where is this shop? anyway to test my car b4 i bring it back to B.A.R. ?
Old 06-26-2008, 08:57 PM

anyone with more suggestions?
Old 06-26-2008, 09:27 PM

This was done at my college where I'm getting certified to do smogs. Unfortunately you live pretty far away from Cupertino and its the end of the year.

If you can find any smog shop where the techs are cool, all smog machines can do the training test which is exactly the same as the smog but doesn't get sent to BAR. Its called a pre-inspection test.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:40 PM

lucky you haha... no one up here is nice enough to do nything for free..... subaru wants $210 to maybe find prob and smog shop wants $30 per test wooooo... i lov emy car, but somedays i just plin hate it...... makes me miss my 510
Old 06-26-2008, 09:46 PM

Hurry and make some friends with some smog techs man, get em a couple of beers and you're on your way. Maybe they'll even do a bit of diagnostics.

Its pretty hard to do any diagnostics online but if it failed CO, its not egr, that reduces NOx. It shouldnt be pcv, thats more related to HC.

High CO failure is what the smog guys told you, its from a rich running condition. Its a byproduct of combustion while HC is raw fuel (misfire, unburnt fuel)

Other than that I don't really know where to start unless the car were in front of me. Good luck with it though.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:49 PM

well, i had one step colder plug in..... i just put my stock ones back in..... and i still have a rough idle it seems but the car drives fine....... hoping i dont have ajacked up injector
Old 06-26-2008, 09:54 PM

Well from what I can see from your readings, it shouldn't be a leaking injector or it would have failed at idle also. Seems like its adding a load of fuel when you get on the throttle.

And yea did you do a battery disconnect?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:08 PM

i thought i did.. i know i did one two days ago when i put my stock injectors back in....... its soo odd... i have been back to stock for almost 3 months now.. i am wondering if by chance, i got another bad FPR.... when i had the wlabro in and the stock fpr.. i measured 3x's the amount... then i put stock fuel pump back in and it measured close to abov, but failed both HC and CO.... then i put another FPR on, but i wa s from the wreckers...... maybe i should try another one? i couldnt afford a new one at the moment..... maybe?
Old 06-26-2008, 10:49 PM

Well wait a sec you had aftermarket injectors on when you smogged it? That could be your problem right there.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:50 PM

wait nm I think that was before the smog
Old 06-26-2008, 11:06 PM

yes before the smog
Old 07-02-2008, 04:47 PM

so i have tried all suggestions.. and nothing.... i went through the exhaust last night but didnt find a leak.. i am going to redo all gaskets this weekend....... any other suggestions? i know it isnt the pcv...... but i got a brand new for free.... but how the hell do you get it off the car on an 06? it wouldnt budge
Old 07-04-2008, 10:39 PM

Car Info: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1LE
have you changed the oil since you got the first smog? change the oil this happened to my friend and the mechanic he told him to change the oil and when be brought it back to get smogged it passed

Quick Reply: failed smog CA inspection 3 times (was: Smog Help!)