Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

expert advice needed - dealer-only auction WRX purchase

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2005, 11:06 AM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
i have been to several Manheim Auto Auctions. look them up. they have a national database. since i work for Subaru i can offer you some insight. even we as dealers know the risks of buying at auctions. there are some basic things to consider. know what they have been selling for BEFORE you enter the auction. when bidding keep in mind that dealers can sometimes plant people to keep the bidding up. one good thing is that MY02/03 WRX's are kinda soft at the auctions- low price=extra room for repair if needed.

personally i hate auctions because there is one very very important aspect of buying a car--->DRIVING it. if you are okay with taking the risk of buying a car with damaged frame, tranny, rear end...etc. then go for it. but one thing i always advise my clients is this- DRIVE before you buy.

personally i don't recommend it.
if you have any more questions you are more than welcome to email me or PM me.

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*
Old 01-11-2005, 03:16 PM

my .02

I'm with John Steele.
Any WRX that was lease turned in or traded at our store in even half decent shape, we'd keep. Further, we have arrangements with several other local dealers to buy those cars from them when they come in. Thus, most WRX's that go to auction has been rejected by us for some reason (and also, for that matter, rejected by at least a couple of other dealers). Once you're actually at Manheim, or any of the other large sales, the auction moves quite fast, and there's not a lot of time to make sure you're not making a mistake. I've seen literally DOZENS of mistakes made by professional buyers who have been buying for years and years.

Your best safest bet to get a cheap WRX is to buy one private party. Try to find someone who's moving up to an STi, or even better, someone who bought the car and doesn't like it (morons, all of them, but they do exist). Then you can get a chance to talk to them about it, check out any reciepts they have, etc.
IMHO of course