Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Engine Misfiring, help !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2004, 06:16 PM

Question Engine Misfiring, help !!!!

My 2003 WRX is misfiring, it makes a ticking noise, especially under load conditions (climbing up hills, full throttle, etc.) At Idle, I can rev up the engine just fine with no misfiring. I went to AutoZone and pulled the ECU codes. This is what I got: P1312 - Exhaust temperature sensor malfunction and P0546 - Exhaust gas temperature sensor circuit high input. (I did make sure that my gas cap was on tight also) I just got the car about 1 month ago and the check engine light was on when I bought it, but the guy told me it was on cause of the catless exhaust. (I just order the MIL Eliminator, but it hasnt arrived yet) There were no problems with the car misfiring when I bought it.

I called Vishnu to see if they could diagnos my problem for me ( I live like 20 miles away) and the dude on the phone told me to change the plugs first, then if that didnt work to bring the car in. I do plan on changing them this weekend. Do you guys think thats what the problem could be? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
David
Old 09-21-2004, 06:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Stage 4+ Bugeye
David,
Sometimes with an un-tuned catless exhaust, the car senses different things and starts throwing more fuel at the combustion chambers creating a rich condition. Then begins the buildup on your spark plugs, in a few thousand miles you can be suprised at what can build up on those suckers.

Change your spark plugs, and before you start driving again reset the ECU. Disconnect the negative battery cable and pump the brake pedal about 5 times. Reconnect the negative battery cable and drive to somewhere flat.

Then get the car in 3rd gear and start at 3,000 RPM's and mash on the gas until redline. That will reset the timing advance and everything else to where the car might deal with your exhaust.

That is what I would do. Good Luck

WRX Rush
Old 09-26-2004, 09:51 AM

so from what i see the ecu is telling you that the sensor/circuit has a problem.why over look what it is trying to tell you.ive seen the sensors gone bad on some.
Old 10-03-2004, 07:35 PM

Reset the ecu and drive it. If the problem is gone until the light comes back on then you need to address the system for the code it gives you. If it starts with the return of the lamp and the code is for the egt sensor then you will need to do the egt sensor mod or have that system checked. Don't wait on this as driveing on a egt code on a stock ems is dangerous.
Andrew@Hillmuth
Old 10-03-2004, 08:22 PM

Could that misfiring be a spark arcing out of the spark plug wire boot? The same thing happened to me on my RS. Damn thing started ticking underload and threw a CEL. Pop the hood and notice a spark came out of # 1 spark plug wire boot on the ignition coil and arc itself to the intake manifold. It was only doing it intermitently on idle, but enough to cough up a CEL. Took the spark plug wire out and sure enough it was corrosion. Arc couldn't get through so it was back peddling out to the manifold (path of less resistance). Might wanna check the wires just to make sure it's not corrosion. Good luck man.

imporacer