Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

does 'redlining' my engine constitute abuse? (was: Problem with my wrx?)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 06:37 PM

Car Info: 05wrx
Problem with my wrx?

So yesterday I redlined my wrx to the point where i noticed smoke from the hood and there was a strong smell of fumes which the car is still producing everytime I drive it. There are no warning lights on but I don't know if I'm being paranoid but it also feels like I'm getting much less boost than before.

My question is, do you think my warranty will cover this problem if I take it in to get it looked at since it was I who pushed the engine too hard? I'm a new wrx owner so I really have no clue what my problem is. Can you guys can give some suggestions? I have no performance mods as of yet.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:39 PM

Do U Have Anything Done To It? How Many Miles Do You Have On It?
Old 10-13-2005, 06:43 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by st***en
So yesterday I redlined my wrx to the point where i noticed smoke from the hood and there was a strong smell of fumes which the car is still producing everytime I drive it. There are no warning lights on but I don't know if I'm being paranoid but it also feels like I'm getting much less boost than before.

My question is, do you think my warranty will cover this problem if I take it in to get it looked at since it was I who pushed the engine too hard? I'm a new wrx owner so I really have no clue what my problem is. Can you guys can give some suggestions? I have no performance mods as of yet.
If it's still under warranty and unmodded take it into the dealership and play stupid.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:45 PM
the artist formerly known as mcdrama

Car Info: WRBP 2015 WRX Premium/CVT
I am pretty sure the sweet power spot is between 4K-5K untuned.

How long did you keep it at redline for?
These engines are not the same as hondas, the USDM internals are not safe for 7+K RPM.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:55 PM

Car Info: 05wrx
This is a guess but I think I had it redlined over 7k for a good 3 to 5 seconds. I hope this problem isn't too bad. Its a brand new 05 with barely 1k miles. I guess I over-celebrated on the end of my break in period =(
Old 10-14-2005, 12:18 AM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
I think you blew your flux capacitor. No but I think you overrevved it and the piston rings haven't fully seated since your car is still new. I don't know if you should take it into the dealership or not, they will probably scan the ECU and know that you were revving it pretty high. Good luck though.

Last edited by Lurk; 10-14-2005 at 12:20 AM.
Old 10-14-2005, 12:44 AM

Car Info: 05 wrx
would they void the sucker if u rev too high? i havn't heard of subaru or other dealer say that u can't drive to the redline.... (as long as u brake in)
Old 10-14-2005, 12:56 AM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
Originally Posted by Digital 9ine
Do U Have Anything Done To It? How Many Miles Do You Have On It?
thank godness for the caps filter
Old 10-14-2005, 01:00 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
they can't find out how high you revved the engine by scanning the ECU, especially if you don't have a CEL. Take it to Santa Cruz Subaru and they'll fix you right up.

Thanks
Old 10-14-2005, 10:35 AM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
3-5 seconds!?!?

wasn't it hitting fuel cut, and jarring back and forth?

-Gagan
Old 10-14-2005, 10:39 AM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
3-5 seconds!?!?

-Gagan

hahaha It's entirely possible. He never said it didn't. HAHAHA just picture someone doing that.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:45 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by joltdudeuc
3-5 seconds!?!?

-Gagan

of course not, he was in 5th gear!
Old 10-15-2005, 01:50 AM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Originally Posted by st***en

Where's the smoke coming from? (open hood after it starts smoking) Do you see any kind of residue anywhere in the engine? (you said it only has 1k, should be clean)

After I first got tuned I went and rowed through gears for like 10 minutes straight, dumping clutch @7k rpm every time, etc. And the car started smoking from the turbo, thought it was an oil seal, but the smoke went away. Never got to confirm it but ran fine for another whole year until I sold it to my friend who's now running twins for his 3000gt, and they seem to be healthy still...
Old 10-15-2005, 09:37 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
From (2002) Owner's Manual:

Never exceed the speed limit below (chart in book indicates max speed for each gear) for each gear position except for brief acceleration in an emergency. The tachometer's needle will enter the red area if these speeds are exceeded. Failure to observe this precaution can lead to excessive engine wear and poor fuel economy.

When shifting down a gear, ensure that the vehicle is not travelling at a speed exceeding the Maximum Allowable Speed for the gear which is about to be selected. Failure to observe this precaution can lead to engine over-revving and this in turn can result in engine damage.

Hopefully, no permanent damage was done to your engine. A stock or lightly modded engine will not accelerate any harder by exceeding redline because the engine is operating well beyond the peak torque of the power band. Shift, already!

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 10-15-2005, 05:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: none
how come you held it that long?

Quick Reply: does 'redlining' my engine constitute abuse? (was: Problem with my wrx?)