Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Does Insurance Need to Know This???

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 01:11 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru TS
Does Insurance Need to Know This???

Okay, if I modify any parts of the car (body kit or under the hood), do I need to inform the insurance? What happens if I don't inform them about it and I got into an accident?? Thx Help out Thx

Sorry but this is the place where I think it suits best.. eventhough its not an insurance section =P
Old 11-13-2004, 08:03 AM

If I remember well, if you don't tell them, they will only warranty a minimal amount of your mods, something like 1000$ I think but you would lose the rest of the value of the mods, but they will still warranty your car like a stock car.

Of course, the best best would be to call and ask them to be sure, get us informed I would like to have the official answer too.
Old 11-13-2004, 08:41 AM

Car Info: '05 WRB Wagon
I was recently in an accident with a highly modified Jeep - close to $8k in mods and did not get them added to my insurance policy. I was totally screwed (due to my own ignorance) and lost a lot of $$ when they totaled my car and did not give me the $$ for the mods... If you have full coverage on your car, then I would highly recommend adding all mods to the policy. For my jeep - it would have cost me about $10 a month more to add the mods...

Well, one good thing came form it - I got the new Suby I had been drooling over for a while!!
Old 11-16-2004, 01:02 AM

Car Info: 01 RS BRP Coupe
well my friend has a civic si and had it slightly moded; jdm rims, drop, system, and a couple of little stuff but he had full coverage. He didnt report any of these to his insurance company until after someone stole his car and crashed it and took the rims and stuff. But the insurance company paid for his rims and system because he had all the receipts. But I still wouldnt tell them that I moded the car.
Old 11-16-2004, 12:41 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in WR Blue
Just save your receipts. My state farm guy has always been nice and has given us lots of discounts and paid for the mods in my old car that was totaled. He just told me to save the receipts.
Old 11-16-2004, 01:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Aspin '02 WRX sedan
Yes, just keep the receipts to show proof most insurance places will reimburse you.
Old 11-22-2004, 04:53 AM

Car Info: 1998 Subaru Impreza L 2.2
Pictures are also a good idea along with your receipts.

-Charles-