Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

convincing my dad

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 09:32 PM

Angry convincing my dad

is there a way i can convince my dad to buy an '04 wrx before it runs out. we are a poor family but i really want the '04 model and i know we can afford it. so hellp me!!!

and to those lucky *****es that got theirs already, prepare to get jacked from me =o)
Old 06-04-2004, 11:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
umm. unless your parents are already buying a car, getting a father who is strapped for cash to shell out for a new ride is going to be pretty difficult. Those pesky things like mortgage, utilities, food and clothes for the kids, etc. generally take precedence over a cool car.

If you're already looking to buy, and the WRX falls in the price range your parents are looking to pay, you can try selling your mom and dad on:

Safety - Dual front and side (front) airbags. Anti-lock brakes. AWD for increased traction in all conditions. EXCELLENT crash ratings as tested by the International Institute for Highway Safety. Superb handling for avoiding crashes should the need arise.

Utility - Four doors is NICE. If you get a wagon you can fold down the rear seats for the expanded cargo room for carrying most medium-large items.

Economy - If you use the Edmunds (www.edmunds.com) vehicle cost estimator, you'll notice that the cost of ownership for the WRX over vehicle life is pretty low. In fact, over time, the WRX becomes cheaper to own (including the purchase price) than most cars costing thousands less (such as the SRT-4). And, even though you have to buy premium (91 octane or higher) gas, you get pretty good gas mileage. Even with a rather heavy foot, I average 24mpg CITY and even more highway, though I rarely drive long highway drives.

Convenience - Power windows and doors, A/C, great heater, great defroster. Clear and EASY to read gauges. Comfortable steering wheel. Comfortable seats.

You can sell your dad on:

Performance - Great handling, great brakes, supportive and comfortable seats, 227hp and 217lb ft of torque. You can sell him on the rally heritage (www.swrt.com) and history of the Impreza. Show him the center mounted tach, leather wrapped momo steering wheel, all aluminium hood, the FUNCTIONAL hood scoop. "Race" aluminium pedals.

The trick is finding what your parents want and need from a car, then take the car you want them to buy and tell them things about the car that match what they want from it. Maybe go get em a brochure and let em look over it. Get your dad to take a test drive - things like that. Don't push it too hard though, or you might sour them altogether.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:46 PM

do you go skiing or snowboarding a lot? or does where you live get any snow? that'd be a good reason to convince them with. i'm in the same boat as you, somewhat. we are getting a new car in 2-3 months and we have narrowed it down to either a toyota camry or a wrx for me. i'm sure my mom would have no problem with the wrx, but i don't think my dad wants to shell out the 5-7k for a wrx, which i can understand with the economy that we're in right now... in the end, it's their money and they have the most say... but just keep nagging and hope for the best
Old 06-05-2004, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by goningsxr
okay here is what u do.....ready, now read carefully.

1. GET A JOB.

2. ask your father to cosign your loan for u, or ask your father for a loan in his name, credit willing.

if your old enough to drive, your old enough to pay for your ride

1. check
2. he's still paying for it...
Old 06-05-2004, 01:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
wth, can u read chipmOnk, where does it say that dabidxd has a job? not his dad, him?
I think he was referring to himself. By the looks of his post, his dad is buying him a car too.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:11 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
Buy an 02 or 03. Why do you need an 04'? 02 or 03 with little mileage will cost $$$ less than an 04. You still may have a warranty too, if you care. I work full time, and have a god job. i bought an 04' because i deservred it. Why do you deserve it? Do you have good grades? Do you volunteer? Do you work? Give him a good reason and he my put out the extra cash. The WRX is a good car, but it is no the right car for some people. If your family is strapped for cash maybe you should be a little less selfish. Also, hoe old are you? You have to remember that usually see all the expensis and not just the note. Insurance, plates, maintenance(which on a wrx, if you don't do it yourself can be costly. If you want it to run right you need to keep up on all scheduled maintenance), Gas$(which also on a Wrx can be expensive ). If your young the insurance could kill you, it could be over 1200 dollars ayear. Good luck.

Last edited by wrx10404; 06-05-2004 at 09:17 AM.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:16 PM

wth, can u read chipmOnk, where does it say that dabidxd has a job? not his dad, him? in my previous post i was referring to the thread starter dabidxd
as for your comment about the economy, it is false.
the united states economy is doing very well at the present time. with a GDP positive growth rate of 4.2% last quarter, that indicates the economy is doing very well.
hey dabidxd, use that to convince your dad.

yeah, like subysonic said... i was refering to myself...
Old 06-08-2004, 03:21 AM

Car Info: White 04 WRX
Originally Posted by wrx10404
If your young the insurance could kill you, it could be over 1200 dollars ayear. Good luck.
more like if you're young the insurance WILL be over 1200, maybe even over 2000...
Old 06-15-2004, 12:50 PM

Car Info: with the blinkers on
werd. + $1500 just to add me. But maybe because I regularly drive a MBZ 91 420 SEL, 00 S500, 04 LS430 and a 2003 Ford Ranger(wtf on the last one right?) FACK! Anyways, I'm in the market for a wagon, and I've been a big big fan since I was a little kid.
Old 06-15-2004, 02:40 PM

Car Info: 04 Silver WRX Wagon
It amazes me how young kids can get away with driving this car.

Respect your parents and yourself by staying within your means. Plus, if you drive a hoopty now you can only move up

In a few years you can treat yourself to the car of your choosing (withing means)
Old 06-28-2004, 02:39 PM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
i just got my WRX a month ago and this is what I did.

-Sit down and talk to your mom and dad and find out what type of car they want.
-Find out what their price range is for the next car they are buying for the family/you
-Then see what cars you can afford in that price range
-Go test drive/sit in every car you/your family is interested in
-Look at this car as a long term car. Make SURE this is the car you want. Don't plan on changing the car later on because something better has come out onto the market later down the line.
-Explain to your parents why you want/need this car so bad.
-Find out how much it would cost for your parents to add you to their insurance and how much it would cost for them to cover the car also

The thing is. Dont set your mind on a 2004 WRX. I am not in any way saying that a WRX is a bad car, because i love my 2003. There are a lot of good cars out there in that price range. Plus..maybe your parents dont want to buy a brand new 2004...so give it a year or so and theres bound to be someone selling a used 2004 for a decent price. Why not look into a 02-03 WRX? The Drivetrain should be identical(i think). The only difference in the cars are cosmetic things.

You also stated that your family is poor but you guys can afford the car. Yes okay your mom and dad can buy the car. But you have to look at other expenses too like insuring the car and what not. I am 17 years old and I got into a Boo Boo recently and my insurance alone went from 2 grand to 4 grand. =] Imagine how pissed off my parents are right now. If your family is on a tight budget right now..i wouldnt try to convince your dad to buy you a brand new car. Think of your family instead of yourself, and maybe look for something the whole family can use, if not something more affordable for your family so the purchase of your car wouldnt be as big of a blow to your parents pocket.

If you dont want to listen to what i just said above then maybe u can try these

-ask your parents to buy you the car for your birthday present(maybe they will be a little more lienient)
-bring your grades up if they arent doing too well right now
-start helping out around the house a lot more so you can get on their good side

BTW how old are you?

Alright im done yapping and thats just my 2 cents.

Last edited by dynamicprojeKtz; 06-28-2004 at 02:45 PM.
Old 06-28-2004, 02:51 PM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
HAHAHA i got a good one...if your dad is suffering from a mid-life crisis, tell him that this is a good reason to buy the car...It'll make him feel young again once he starts driving it. My dad is 50 and when he drives/works on the car with me, he's like a kid again. If working on cars is something you and your dad love to do, it would be a good bonding experience if you two got the WRX and start modding it together or something. Me and my dad dont have the best relationships and the only way i can talk or spend time with him is when we are both working on or talking about cars.

Quick Reply: convincing my dad