Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Complimentary ABS ECU Replacement, but its not a recall :)

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 08:04 PM

Car Info: 05 SLK 350
Complimentary ABS ECU Replacement, but its not a recall :)

I searched, and didn't find this anywhere on here yet, so here goes:

Today I recieved a letter from SOA thanking me for being "a member of one of the most enthusiastic group of vehicle owners anywhere - Subaru WRX owners."

Gee thanks.

But to the meat of this letter. In a nutshell, while not calling this a recall, Subaru is offering a free replacement of the ABS ECU, adressing the issue of the ABS not properly responding on certain surfaces. Anyone else get this letter?
Old 08-29-2005, 08:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
I've definitely heard about it. I could have used it in my '03 before I hit that truck, but whatever
Old 08-29-2005, 08:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Everyone with an 02-03 is getting them. Note that there is an exclusion for vehicles with "modified brake systems" so it's possible that if you have any non-stock brake components the dealers may refuse to do this service.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mulder
Everyone with an 02-03 is getting them. Note that there is an exclusion for vehicles with "modified brake systems" so it's possible that if you have any non-stock brake components the dealers may refuse to do this service.
I figured as much. The main reason I wanted to post the thread is for the guys that bought their car used and didn't get a letter. Wouldn't want them running around on unsafe brakes.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:16 PM

Is this that issue where when braking over bumpy surfaces the brake peddle goes straight to the floor and you don't stop? Good times. Fortunately I had read about it on i-club before it first happened to me so I didn't freak out (02 WRX). Never had it happen in my STi though.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by MoDrift
Is this that issue where when braking over bumpy surfaces the brake peddle goes straight to the floor and you don't stop? Good times. Fortunately I had read about it on i-club before it first happened to me so I didn't freak out (02 WRX). Never had it happen in my STi though.
Yes.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:28 PM

Car Info: GDA
it's about time they addressed the issue. i nearly shat my pants the first time it happened to me.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
I got mine yesterday but it said that if you have any aftermarket (unauthorized upgrades) brake parts then you can't get the upgrade due to possible compatibility issues... As stated above...

I guess that means pads, fluid, BBK's and s.s. lines????

Last edited by Lowball; 08-30-2005 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:03 AM

I got that letter last night too. Unfortunatley, I'm afraid they won't do anything for me about it. I have exactly what they are describing as a problem, the fact of the matter is my car is so lowered that they'll tell be to shove off. It happens only when coming to a down grade upon a stop. If there is a seam in the road, the suspension follows the bump and upon slight hard braking, it feels like I have warped rotors. I get around it by apply brakes well after the bump and livable. I thought it was me all this time.
Old 08-30-2005, 10:57 AM

I might get this done. It isn't a big deal to me, but if anyone else was driving the car, or if I sold it, it might alarm them.

I'd rather they did a recall on the cold fuel rail problem. Currently, mine happily sprays fuel onto the engine if the weather is cold - just to warm it up a bit.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
Mods should merge these threads:

https://www.i-club.com/forums/suby-shopping-maintenance-warranty-92/02-03-abs-issues-warranty-fix-110318/

there is a copy of the letter in there for those who might not have seen it, or might not receive one.
Old 09-07-2005, 02:59 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX PSM
Talking

Originally Posted by Lorry
I might get this done. It isn't a big deal to me, but if anyone else was driving the car, or if I sold it, it might alarm them.

I'd rather they did a recall on the cold fuel rail problem. Currently, mine happily sprays fuel onto the engine if the weather is cold - just to warm it up a bit.

LOL

About the ABS issue, the first time I drove my car ('02 rex) in icy conditions (yes it does get icy in TX) I was alarmed by how the ABS system reacted. But I was somewhat prepared for it, I had read about how touchy the ABS system was on the WRX. For anyone that gets this "recall" done, please post about what or any difference it makes.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:34 PM
VIP Member

Location: EBAIC- Wondering if I should have taken the blue pill...
Car Info: 03 WRX wagon type RA
I just got mine done yesterday. The brakes are alittle more happy to lock-up, and overall it's a better pedal feel. No more crappy ABS pushing back on me. I'd definately recommend getting this done....just not at Diablo Subaru in Walnut Creek.
Old 09-08-2005, 01:36 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX PSM
That sounds promising, better brake feel would be a huge plus. What I'm wondering, is the ABS system less intrusive with the updated ECU program?
Old 09-08-2005, 02:04 PM

Car Info: 05 STi
Originally Posted by cdawg
I searched, and didn't find this anywhere on here yet, so here goes:

Today I recieved a letter from SOA thanking me for being "a member of one of the most enthusiastic group of vehicle owners anywhere - Subaru WRX owners."

Gee thanks.

But to the meat of this letter. In a nutshell, while not calling this a recall, Subaru is offering a free replacement of the ABS ECU, adressing the issue of the ABS not properly responding on certain surfaces. Anyone else get this letter?
My light came on so I took it to the dealership and they fixed it.