Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

clutch noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 11:02 PM

Car Info: 2004 wrx
clutch noise

I have an 04 wrx with a little over 1000 miles on it.

I have read the replies about clutch shudder...I dont know what exactly clutch shudder is, so maybe it's what my car is doing.

My problem exists when the car is warm though, not cold. And I am not 100% sure it's even a problem, I am noticing that these scoobies are pretty quirky.

When depressing the clutch peddle at extremely low speeds(moving up 2 feet when on an incline, or when parallel parking) I hear a thud sound.

This usually happens when I am off the gas, then I quickly stab the gas (letting clutch out), then immediately depress the clutch and get off the gas. I gave 2 examples of when you would make this type of move, so its a bit easier to understand.

This started happening(or I started noticing it) within the past couple of days.

Anyway, is this normal, does it fall under the tsb, or is it something else?

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2004, 11:11 PM
VIP Member

Maybe it's you slamming the gears?

:banana:
Old 02-26-2004, 11:21 PM

na, in first gear. Not changing gears.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:27 PM
VIP Member

I mean, maybe you're letting the clutch out too fast when jabbing the gas.

:banana:
Old 02-29-2004, 01:49 PM

any other advise about this?
Old 03-01-2004, 02:09 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX Wagon
I think this is just the normal sound of the drivetrain loading and unloading, I notice the same sorta "thud" sound when I don't get the clutch/gas timing right or I try and take the trans out of gear without the clutch with the revs mismatched.
Old 03-03-2004, 05:22 PM

Car Info: WRB 2003 WRX
The "thud" noise happens when you let go of the clutch really quick and mash the gas instanteneously I am assuming. That noise is from your rear viscous differential and is completely normal. When there is a surge of sudden power the front wheels start to spin and power is directed through the drivetrain to the rear wheels. Well there is something known as a rear viscous differential that sits between the rear wheels and the drivetrain, this allows the rear wheels to spin at slightly different speeds compared to the front wheels by a slight amount. If the difference in speed between and front and rear wheels increases the liquid in the rear differential heats up and becomes thicker , so as to force the clutch plates in the rear diff to spin at the same speeds. This happens to a point after which the liquid completely solidifes there by forcing the rear wheels to rotate at the same speed as the front. The "thud" you are hearing is the viscous liquid solidifying and locking clutch plates to spin at the same speed. Perfectly normal.
Hope that helps =)
Old 03-03-2004, 05:42 PM

no, it happens when I get off the gas and depress the clutch at the same time.
Old 03-04-2004, 03:29 AM

Car Info: Saab92x
Originally posted by DaWorstPlaya
The "thud" noise happens when you let go of the clutch really quick and mash the gas instanteneously I am assuming. That noise is from your rear viscous differential and is completely normal. When there is a surge of sudden power the front wheels start to spin and power is directed through the drivetrain to the rear wheels. Well there is something known as a rear viscous differential that sits between the rear wheels and the drivetrain, this allows the rear wheels to spin at slightly different speeds compared to the front wheels by a slight amount. If the difference in speed between and front and rear wheels increases the liquid in the rear differential heats up and becomes thicker , so as to force the clutch plates in the rear diff to spin at the same speeds. This happens to a point after which the liquid completely solidifes there by forcing the rear wheels to rotate at the same speed as the front. The "thud" you are hearing is the viscous liquid solidifying and locking clutch plates to spin at the same speed. Perfectly normal.
Hope that helps =)
PHew! That's relief to hear.
After only having my Legacy for a month now, hearing that had me concerned.
Thx for clearing that up.