Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Class Action Lawsuit against SOA (Tranny)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2003, 02:21 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Class Action Lawsuit against SOA (Tranny)

The first steps for a class action law suit against SOA has been established. My Lawyer have asked me to get names and Vin # s of all Subaru WRX owners with warranty issues (transmission). My 1st gear gave out and SOA claims its abuse therefore warranty does not cover it. I am seeking other owners with the same problem.. The Lawyers that are representing this case is www.kabolaw.com. My main contact is Mark Anderson and Alison Lawton. Please email me the following information.

1-Name
3-Email
3-Vin #
4-short description of incident

Thank You,
Quoc Nguyen
1nguyen1@msn.com
Old 10-16-2003, 02:45 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Sorry, -I guess I can't join your class action as my '02 WRX is at 94,000 miles and the tranny still works fine.

Good luck though.
Old 10-16-2003, 02:56 PM

Car Info: 2003 blue EVO
40,000 and mine is working fine as well. By using the free year subscription to the SCCA, I have done more than a full season of autocrossing without any problems from the tranny.

good luck, errr .... well no not really.. (sorry)

Sucks about the denial of warrentee, but that's up to the dealer not SOA. If you do some searches on Nasioc, you will find a similar thread that was started about a year ago with no results....

What really sucks is individuals who drive the car like it's RWD muscle car, and expect the tranny to survive the abuse. It's happening here with the WRX, and also with the EVO.

lame... just learn how to properly shift the car, and remember that the clutch is supposed take the brunt of the abuse, not the transmission.

i have been driving this platform (2.0 turbo, AWD driveline) for close to 10 years now starting with a DSM -> WRX -> STI (soon). In all that time I have never experiance transmission problems on any of the AWD cars I have driven.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:05 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
right, with that having been said, there are definitley some folks out there who have suffered from broken trannies while driving their cars like grannies. i know that there were some faulty trannies, but the vast majority i do believe to be abuse related. i feel really bad for the folks who had their trannies break for no reason at all and who have been shunned by SOA and labeled abusers. that would REALLY **** me off.
Old 10-16-2003, 03:37 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
Mine broke last year at 38K miles. I did not race or abuse my car. I lost 5k... just trying to get my money back...
Old 10-16-2003, 03:43 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Question

What dealership did you take it to? Did SOA say why they thought it was abuse?

Might get a hold of Jon Jacobs and see how his case is doing...
here is the thread.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:40 PM

Car Info: sc300
mine broke at about 15k miles. i went to stevens creek subaru where they were happy to fix it under warranty. i don't understand why everyone hates stevens creek subaru so much they are nice to me. the sales manager guy is kind of... different i guess you could say, but thats the only guy. someone please explain to me whats goin on.
Old 10-16-2003, 04:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 sti
hey mine broke i only have like 18k on my car to. WTH GIVES!!!!

oh wait it could be the increase in hp

nah
Old 10-16-2003, 05:47 PM
Ed
First Troll EVA!

Mt.Hamilton was my first true "AWD" experience. My car did things that amazed me... drifting sideways and knowing it will not spin out. I had a great time and when and where is the next raod challenge?

Quoc,
Old 10-16-2003, 05:55 PM

Car Info: 02 STi
Originally posted by chrisw
40,000 and mine is working fine as well. By using the free year subscription to the SCCA, I have done more than a full season of autocrossing without any problems from the tranny.

good luck, errr .... well no not really.. (sorry)

Sucks about the denial of warrentee, but that's up to the dealer not SOA. If you do some searches on Nasioc, you will find a similar thread that was started about a year ago with no results....

What really sucks is individuals who drive the car like it's RWD muscle car, and expect the tranny to survive the abuse. It's happening here with the WRX, and also with the EVO.

lame... just learn how to properly shift the car, and remember that the clutch is supposed take the brunt of the abuse, not the transmission.

i have been driving this platform (2.0 turbo, AWD driveline) for close to 10 years now starting with a DSM -> WRX -> STI (soon). In all that time I have never experiance transmission problems on any of the AWD cars I have driven.
I hear what you are saying...but still....it sucks that a sports car that is "rally inspired" cant even hold stock power. I have a friend on his 2nd tranny. He doesnt abuse the car and is completely stock.

If they dont want the car driven the way it is supposed to be driven...they NEED to change the commercial...showing a wrx slowly driving in a straight line. Mabe showing a guy racing his kid on a bike as he goes to work. lol

Anyway I have no complaints about warranty denial. Santa Cruz Subaru is the BEST!!!

And oh yeah, I though it was up to the SOA rep NOT THE DEALERSHIP...to give the ok on warranty.

-freddie
Old 10-16-2003, 07:20 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
If you keep cross posting, I will start a class action lawsuit against you.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:12 PM

Car Info: 05 CGM FXT STi
sorry guys, the class action suit has already been tried here in California. the problem is that all of these broken tranny incidents vary slightly so unless there are 50 people with the same mileage, same gears broken, and under the same conditions, then you dont have a class action. My court date (small claims) is Dec. 6th. it seems that SOA makes it very difficult to find any agent of process in the individual cities/states where these problems take place. I know of one case that has already taken place (last week) but I havent been able to contact the lawyer yet to here the verdict. If you're wondering, that is the Jon Jacobs case but it got handed over to a new attorney.

SAMI reports are also available with enough effort. they are the individual reports that SOA files on each complaint that comes into any dealership. it includes year/make/model and description of the problem that occurred. no names are given, but believe me, it is surprising how many transmission complaints exist.
Old 10-16-2003, 09:16 PM
250,000-mile Club President

Car Info: MBP 02 WRX wagon
Actually- to be less glib than my initial posting,

I might have suggested that small claims court might be a better path.
No lawyer involvement for one, and the fact that damages are limited to what would easily cover your repairs, they'd be a lot less inclined to fight it very hard, make a good case to the judge and your gearbox should be paid for.
Old 10-17-2003, 01:55 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally posted by BlingBlingBlue
What dealership did you take it to? Did SOA say why they thought it was abuse?
Bueller? Bueller?

Quick Reply: Class Action Lawsuit against SOA (Tranny)