Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Calling all WRX wagon owners

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2003, 03:42 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wgn
I've had my wagon for 11 months and everything seems to rattle. It's actually not as bad as it sounds...you start to tune the rattle out! My windows squeak as well, but so do sedan windows.

Actually, sedan owners have had trunk rattle issues also.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:56 PM

My wagon has no rattle what so ever.Its a 2004 maybe they fixed it.I've had it about 9 months.
Old 12-11-2003, 03:34 AM

Post Wagon rattles?

I've had my wagon since January of 2003 and no rattles or squeaks so far... (Of course, now that I've said that. It will probably start making all sorts of weird noises...)
Old 12-14-2003, 06:42 PM

Subaru in general

Hey Joe,

I bought an 04 WRX wagon (my third Subaru) 6 months ago. No rattles yet. Emphasis on yet. My last Subaru was a 2000 2.5RS. The head gasket (do a search on "head gasket") went belly up on me at 62,000 mi. It didn't bother me much as the tiny trunk was driving me crazy and I wanted out of that car anyway.

The RS got "old" quick. Meaning... carpet frayed , seats frayed, frameless window rattles everywhere, the windows took a half hour to roll up, paint chipped off if you breathed on it wrong. etc.

That car was a total piece, and I still bought another one. Why?

Subaru IS getting better with it's fit and finish. I at least have a glove box light, and don't need to install my own trunk light now.

What is to be appreciated with the WRX are the things you can't see...the stellar handling, the AWD system, the fun factor. I just got back from a half hour "fun" drive in a foot of snow. It makes you appreciate the talent of Rally racers for sure.

If you're bothered by things like thin, delicate paint, road noise, and a bagain bin interior, then look elsewhere. (A4 wagon, perhaps?)

If you're willing to overlook those things in favor of power, handling, great suspension, and drivetrain, than definately consider a WRX.

Perhaps the new Sabb WRX will offer up things like sound deadening, leather, and quality interior? If you can wait a few months, might be worth your time to wait and see what they come up with. Heh heh, wonder if someone will start up a "9-2x Club" to inform members about this "new" Saab with all wheel drive.

Good luck!
Old 12-24-2003, 10:34 AM

Car Info: Sold My Stage 4+ Wa-Goon :(
Thumbs up

I have an 02 WRX Wagon @ 42,000 on the clock; i kick the ever loving S#it out of that car and i mean it.. interior ive brought quite a few blocks to the machine shop with it; i've taken the thing off road (quite a bit, gotten it stuck so bad i had to dig for a few hours to get it out), ive launched it off of 45 degree angle'd roads (leading up to RR tracks). I've basically done it all, and its still ticking. Yes I've had to replace strut tops (thanks to that RR track launch), yes ive gone thru 3 sets of tires, yes I've replaced a good deal of all the bushings and mounts. But the point is; its still going and its loving everyminute of it.. err at least me.. the driver.. is.. hehe.

Its got stock suspension again, for now . And the only mods are a Stage 3+ setup on it..

Gotta love it.. its a great work horse too (sighs at the memories of tearing up into the woods to work on a foundation for a few months).

-G

Edit: oh yeah to answer your question -- no squeaks or rattles that I haven't been able to find and fix. Knock on wood.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:01 PM

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon - Java Black
The only rattles I've heard after 5 months and 8000 miles are from the retractable cargo cover.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:02 PM

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon - Java Black
Oh yeah, and the loose change that gets launched from my pocket onto the floor during accelration
Old 01-05-2004, 01:01 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon
18.5K on my 02 rex and the only noise i found was a loud sound and vibration that came on at 105+. Turned out to be the antenna. Put it down, put the hammer down and just roar! No funny noise, and I love that turbo whine. One of my kids, who drives a Saturn and loves it (who knew?) wondered where the sirens were when she 1st rode in it. Some things cannot be explained. The only rattles turned out to be c--p i put in the spare wheel well. I did have to replace the rear license plate light bulbs, for some reason, when the car was 6 months old. Since then, nothing!

Quick Reply: Calling all WRX wagon owners