Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

Burning Smell from new car.

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 01:30 PM

Car Info: 2004 wrx wagon
I had the same thing on my 04 wrx wagon. Now at 1700 miles and it's all but disappeared. I imagine with all new parts there is gonna be some residues to burn off in the beginning.

On a separate issue, during the break-in period, I noticed my tailpipe accumulating a lot of soot. I cleaned it off around 700 miles, but it's come back a little bit. Sound familiar to anyone?
Old 03-12-2004, 04:31 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
The coating is cosmolene, it is applied to the exposed metal/mechanical parts to protect them while the car is being shipped overseas. It can take many thousands of miles to burn off completely to the point where you won't smell it anymore.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:42 PM

Car Info: iono nemore
my car is two weeks old, and one day i started noticing a burning smell inside the car. This is my first manual car, and it was a rough start but its smoothed out a whole lot. I can't smell the burning outside the car, but its noticable inside. Is this cosmolene? Am i only supposed to be able to smell it from the inside?
Old 07-03-2004, 11:17 PM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
possibility that your brakes are breaking in too. they smell when they are new, but the smell will go away in about 100 miles or so. or you could just be riding the clutch too much or something
Old 07-03-2004, 11:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
I had the same thing with my '03. Interestingly enough, I recently had the timing belt replaced and the smell came back for a week or so.
Old 07-04-2004, 01:04 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by oct1285
my car is two weeks old, and one day i started noticing a burning smell inside the car. This is my first manual car, and it was a rough start but its smoothed out a whole lot. I can't smell the burning outside the car, but its noticable inside. Is this cosmolene? Am i only supposed to be able to smell it from the inside?
The only time that I smelled the protective coat is outside my car and that only last about a week. If you smell something in your car, then its probably your clutch. When you leave first, what rpms are you at?
Old 07-04-2004, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by Littleboyblue
The only time that I smelled the protective coat is outside my car and that only last about a week. If you smell something in your car, then its probably your clutch. When you leave first, what rpms are you at?
i leave first around 500rpm from a stand still give or take. When I did accidently do some bad driving I could smell the clutch smell outside, but now i can only smell it from inside the car.

Last edited by oct1285; 07-04-2004 at 10:16 AM.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:10 PM
VIP Member

i leave first around 500rpm from a stand still give or take. When I did accidently do some bad driving I could smell the clutch smell outside, but now i can only smell it from inside the car.
Thats fine. I was just wondering because some people leave about 2k and that is definitely burning the clutch. If its still burning in a month from now, I would then have it checked out. Until then, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 07-04-2004, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Littleboyblue
Thats fine. I was just wondering because some people leave about 2k and that is definitely burning the clutch. If its still burning in a month from now, I would then have it checked out. Until then, I wouldn't worry about it.
sadly i have left first at 2k not on purpose tho
Old 07-04-2004, 12:17 PM
VIP Member

sadly i have left first at 2k not on purpose tho
Everyone has. Don't worry about it. But just don't do it everytime.

Quick Reply: Burning Smell from new car.