Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

2006 sti reliability question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2007, 10:20 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX STI
I have a weird noise that just started after installing my sound system.

Everytime I'm in a gear and giving gas I get a winey noise from the engine, or it seems like its from the engine. The sound is not there if I rev the engine at a stop and is not there if I am cruzing in neutral.

Anyone know what that sound is? It only started after I installed my sub and amp. At first I thought the power cable was rubbing against something in the engine but thats not the case. I'm kinda worried.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:23 PM

Car Info: 01 Impreza WRX
your rca cables are picking up stray voltage from the car. try moving your rca cables away from your power and the noise should go away. im pretty sure thats the problem.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:24 PM

Car Info: 01 Impreza WRX
its not a big problem. i use to work in a car install bay and to awvoid that we just ran the power and remote calbes on the other side of the car, away from the speaker wires and rca cables. Also if your rca cables have a thin wire that just dangles, you can ground that and it my help with thw winding noise.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:07 PM

Car Info: Subaru WRX STI
Originally Posted by K6DimE
its not a big problem. i use to work in a car install bay and to awvoid that we just ran the power and remote calbes on the other side of the car, away from the speaker wires and rca cables. Also if your rca cables have a thin wire that just dangles, you can ground that and it my help with thw winding noise.
Im going to try that but it doesnt sound like the RCA cables? The sound is coming from the engine bay and kinda sounds like its from the driver side. I was running an amp to power my component speakers without any problems. Once I installed another amp to power my sub is when I started hearing the sound.

If I leave the car alone will it be bad for my car?