Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

2002 Impreza with 100k miles, good buy?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2005, 10:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
If I were driving that kind of mileage I'm not sure what I'd do. I mean, Subarus are extremely reliable, and provided the car hasn't been beaten on, it should last you a long time.

Some things to think about..

1. Have you considered expanding your search area? Flying somewhere sorta far away, picking up your car and then road tripping home would be fun. I've always wanted to do that

2. Do you already have financing approved? If so, at what rate, and what term are you looking for? Obviously both of those can drastically effect your monthly payment.

Truthfully, given the amount of driving you do, the WRX might be the better choice, if for no other reason than it has the least amount of miles. I know this sounds weird, but the RS and the WRX are pretty close in terms of gas mileage (my '01 2.5RS gets very similar mileage to my '03 WRX) and maintenance costs aren't much more on the WRX than they are on the RS. The only place you'll really pay more is in insurance, so I would make sure to get a quote on both vehicles prior to purchasing. Make sure you have a sample VIN with which to provide the insurance company, otherwise you run the risk of the person at the insurance company mis-quoting you.

One other thing, I'd stay away from that 99 RS. The 98 and 99 models have a headgasket issue, which is more of a "when" than an "if" in regards to occuring in those vehicles. The repair is expensive as hell .
Old 01-24-2005, 06:18 PM

miles

a good # to use for miles when looking at cars is $0.15 per mile. This is the rate that loan companies and banks use to depreciate cars. @ .15 per mile, 40,000 miles should net you a reduction of 6K off the blue book on the car with 60,000 miles.
Why not just take a KBB on the car with 100K then?
Simple. The algorithm KBB uses to calculate mileage completely fails once you go beyond the range of 10,000 to 20,000 miles per year. Don't believe me? Run the impreza with 30,000 miles, and 60K ("normal" miles ranges for a 2002), Now run it with 700 miles, 100,000 miles, and 250,000 miles. You'll notice that while there's a big difference between a 30K and 60K, there's only a small difference between 700 miles and 30,000, and between 60K and 100K, and almost no difference between 100K and 250K.

PLUS, most banks will not loan on a 100K plus car at a decent rate. Sometimes, if you can get a person to review your case, they MAY make an exception, but 80% of auto loans these days are done by automated systems, which will bounce that car like a super-ball.
Pay the extra $, and get the car with less miles. BTW, mileage difference is negligable between WRX and 2.5RS if you don't drive the WRX like a maniac. Of course, it does lend itself to being driven like a maniac....so...... Seriously though, the WRX you list is a pretty good deal, and the other ones are marginal at best. Where are you located in the Midwest? I used to work for a dealership in Appleton, I can probably get you a pretty good hook-up if you need it.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:23 PM

If your looking at pure asthetics the MY99 is the best looking of the four your viewing. As far as headgasket issues sorry to say sonic but only the MY98 with the dual cams had that problem the MY99 changed to single overhead cams and and the headgasket issue was addressed. If you are concered with fuel ecomomy the MY99 is the lightest of the bunch and will avarage about 27-29 mpg on the highway sustained. I presently own a MY99 and have had it for some time. They are asking a bit much for it though if its in real clean condition they can ask about 10k and that is pushing it.

The MY02 RS is also a good choice as at a decent price if your looking for outright reliability then I would go with this one since it has probably been dogged the least of the bunch and has also seen less winters than the MY99.

I would personally stay away from any WRX of whom you know nothing of its prior history. Its one thing to buy from a fellow enthusiast on these boards whom people can vouch for its completely diffent going to some dealership or stranger who says "oh no I always babied the car..... "
Good luck on your decision your already on the right track you want a Subaru

Last edited by Fernely; 01-24-2005 at 06:26 PM.