Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

04 oil filter question

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2004, 04:35 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
You are right I forgot about the bend in the coolant line. I had a heck of a time getting the proper filter when I first got my XT because I got it so early.

When the Forester XT first came out they didn't even have the proper filters here in the US right away. I tired to locate some and all of the parts places wanted to sell me the larger 80mm filter. The way it went as far as I can tell is like this:

Subaru put out info that the Forester and Baja turbo 2.5L needed the 68mm filter. They were changing oil on the STi's with the larger filter because it would clear that coolant line (pic above) Here is the bulletin:

"Bulletin No. PT120103 Oil Filter Please be advise that there is a new oil filter, part number 15208AA080, that applies to the 2004 MY Turbo Baja and MY Turbo Forester models. This new filter, 15208AA080, is smaller in size (68mm) than the current filter used on non-turbo models, part number 15208AA060 (80mm). "

I called 4 parts places trying to get one and at first they insisted that the 60 (80mm) filter was what I needed. I asked if they saw the above bulletin, and they were unaware of it (this was July last year) They looked up the info and said I guess you do need a new filter and no we don't have any. After calling around I found that there were only like 250 in the US and most on the West Coast. A friend managed to get me a couple of the proper ones. Then I started asking the STi guys what they were using. It seems the STi came from the factory with the smaller 68mm filter (pic above of an STi with the OEM filter) but the dealers were changing the oil with the larger 80mm's because they will fit due to the coolant line on the oil cooler will clear the big filter unlike the Forester which has the coolant line bend down. If you put the large filter on the Forester XT it would touch the coolant line or come very close. It would also be close to the header and cook the filters oil. After the filters became more readily available, Subaru changes the statement to say all 2.5L motors need the smaller filter including the STi. BUT on the STi if you have the big filter it should be no problem, the filter is however close to the header and the smaller filter is preferred. Then yet again they come out and say all turbo motors 2.0 and 2.5L should use the small filters. It seems they changed vendors from Purolater to someone else for some of their filters. My guess is since all along the larger 80mm filters have been being used on the WRX the larger ones will work. I'm not sure about the 04's I haven't been under an 04' WRX yet. But apparently they want people to use the smaller filter now. Till they change their mind again I guess

Since the smaller filter has more filter capability I guess it's a good idea to use it anyway. As far as them leaking this is the first time I've heard of that happening.

Can someone look and see if the coolant line on an 03 and 04 WRX bends down like the pic below or sideways like the pic above? I'm curious now to see if if there is a difference or not.

Pic of the Forester XT filter installed:

Last edited by Peaty; 03-09-2004 at 04:51 PM.