Suby Shopping & Maintenance/Warranty Buying a Subaru? Buying, negotiating, financing, insurance, etc. Maintenance/Warranty topics can be discussed here too.

00-01 Impreza 2.5RS... lots of questions.. need as much info as possible...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 01:54 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
I can answer these for you. I'm the original owner of my '01 RS, had it for 45 months and 68,000 miles. Here's my answers to your questions drawing directly from my ownership experience:

Reliability: Nothing has gone wrong with my car that I didn't cause. I'd still be covered by the powertrain warranty if I hadn't driven out of it. The only common issue is clutch shudder, but by now they should mostly be fixed.

They are not cheap to fix, but I wouldn't say they are expensive either. Keep in mind that Imprezas break less than almost any car in its class, hondas and Toyotas included. Check out the Consumer Reports index.

Gas mileage in an RS isn't very good compared to other 4 cylinder cars. Big motor, low gears, high compression work against that. I get 20-22 most of the time, with around 26-28 on long trips if I keep my speed consistent. They only require 87 octane.

Insurance is pretty reasonable. They have higher values than any other 4 year old car that sold for under $20k, but there are few enough of them that they aren't stolen very often. They also have a good safety rating, so you probably won't pay more for your RS than you did for your Maxima depending on how old that was.

Resale: The RS holds its value better than anything this side of a BMW. The limited number of them made (less than 15,000 over 4 years) combined with high demand keeps it high. If you only want it for a year or two, you're right in the right place. Probably won't depreciate more than $1,000-1,500 plus mileage while you own it, which is less than what your payments will add to your equity.

As far as "performance" goes, it's about the best import platform you can get for autocross/track usage and modding. But for drag racing, it puts you at a handicap. Bone stock they run high 15s with a good driver. You can probably get into 14s with about $1200-1500 worth of mods, but honestly, if drag racing is something you do a lot of, get something else. I've taken my RS to the track twice and come away with a best time of 15.2 with the basic mods. I have a GanzFlow intake, borla header, and a custom Magnaflow catback, plus an Exedy clutch and flywheel. I think there might be a 14.9 in the car as it sits, but it's hard to tell. I could put the cams I have in and definitely get down to 14s, but like I said, drag racing isn't a priority in Imprezas.
Old 07-14-2004, 11:32 AM

Car Info: 2002 Impreza WRX
I bought a 2000 RS at years end 2000. I had it 3 1/2 years. No problems. I only put 34,000 kms on it though. Uh yeah, thats 21,250 miles. Here's what I had to have done:

1) Windows scratched within first year - replaced bushings and windows under warranty
2) Rear Left bearings went at around 20,500 miles - replaced under warranty
3) Replaced clutch at 20,000 miles for cold clutch shudder - I didn't like what this did to the car to be honest it was never the same after that. If it had been like that when I bought it, it wouldn't have bothered me at all, I was just used to the quicker engaging clutch.

Thats it.. I loved that car, it was fun. Traded it for a 2002 WRX, which is more fun.