Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.
View Poll Results: Should I get a wagon or sedan WRX?
Wagon
59.43%
Sedan
40.57%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

WRX Wagon or Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2003, 09:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon (Cobb AccessPort, P7's), 2-73 914 2.0, 74 914-2.0
Originally posted by Rotorflyr
Ok let's beat a dead horse here, but does anyone have a clue as to if the 04's (wagon and sedan) have the same anti-roll or sway bars in the rear now (since from what I gathered here the wagon had smaller/thinner one's then the sedan) or are they still different?

(like I mentioned elsewhere, Im trying to decide between the wagon and sedan, will test em' both before making the purchase but like to read other's input/experiance's with both)
To be honest, I doubt they will put a bigger rear bar on the wagon or the sedan. The reason is that most manufacturers want oversteer as a characteristic of their production cars. Most average drivers would not correctly handle a car that oversteers and there could be liability issues.

Think of it this way. If you go into a corner too hot, what is your natural tendency? To try to slow the car down. So, you're initial response is to lift on the throttle. If you have a car that understeers, it will want to push if you go in too hot and lifting will transfer the weight forward thus giving more traction to the front wheels and allowing the car to turn instead of push. If you have a car that has oversteer characteristics in the same situation, when you lift on the throttle, the rear end will come around and you will spin out. Because of these handling characteristics, Ralph Nader killed a car called the Corvair (not sure how the Porsche's and VW's survived but VW eventually switched to a front engine configuration). The reason why car enthusiasts like cars that are more neutral or have slight oversteer tendencies is that it allows you to power out of corners. So if you have a car that oversteers when you enter a turn, you gently apply more throttle to transfer the weight rearward and give more traction to the rear tires. This is a simplistic answer and if you go in too hot it doesn't matter what the characteristic of the car is.

Anyway, a majority of the population that drives the WRX is probably fine (maybe even better off) with the current handling characteristics of the car. There will always be those individuals who want more performance out of the car (I'm one of them).

I know about the bumper guard but think it takes away from the aesthetics of the car even though I know it is funtional.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:00 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon (Cobb AccessPort, P7's), 2-73 914 2.0, 74 914-2.0
Let me try to explain it a different way. The wagon and the sedan have different weight distributions. While both cars have more of their weight in the front half of the cars, the wagon has more rear weight distribution. The extra 80#'s is behind the midpoint of car. Thus, the wagon will have less of a tendency to understeer than a sedan if the bars are of equal diameter. So in order to ensure that both understeer equally (or relatively so), Subaru put a smaller diameter bar in the rear of the wagon than the sedan.

I doubt that Subaru will change the bar configurations since it doesn't appear they are making any other suspension changes (of course, the different headlights may change the distribution a little since they won't have HUGE oval headlights anymore! ;-)).