Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.
View Poll Results: Should I get a wagon or sedan WRX?
Wagon
59.43%
Sedan
40.57%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

WRX Wagon or Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 08:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon (Cobb AccessPort, P7's), 2-73 914 2.0, 74 914-2.0
97itr153,

Thanks for the info. I'm going to try to set up a track day at Thunderhill Park and hopefully somebody with a sedan will let me drive their car so I can see the difference when pushed to the limit (I very rarely auto-X anymore because of the limited amount of seat time). If I instruct at this year's local PCA auto-X school, I'll try to see if one of the other instructors has a sedan for me to try out.

Next time you do it, try to remember to take tire pressure measurements, tire wear differences and check fuel levels. As you know tire pressures can make a big difference in cornering characteristics of a car and may have contributed to the differences you feel in the turn-in response. The weight may also have been a contributor but I really doubt 80# in a 3100# car that has 227 hp really makes that much of a difference (though it makes a big difference in my 2000# 90 hp 914). Also, I don't think the extra 20mm of track would make the turn-in feel any different.

Anyway, please post what you find if you are ever given the opportunity to drive both cars again. And next time, push both cars as hard as you can. Because of the different weight distribution, you may have to adjust the line you take around the course for each car to maximize it's potential. I'm sure I'm not the only one curious about the absolute differences.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:42 PM

sridgewa

by sleeper I meant the look/appearance of the car. Only officers in the 'know' would recognize the potential of the hatchback/wagon.

As for being able to sleep in it, I am sure it's possible, unless you are REALLY tall.

later,
i.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:24 AM
VIP Member

Re: Wider Tires on sedan?

Originally posted by oab97
Sea Dragon said something about being able to put wider tires on the sedan. Is this true? Does the size of the wagon's wheel wells affect the ability to put 17" wheels and decent tires on it?
The problem isn't just the offset of the wheels. The sedan has a .8" wider track than the wagon and a 1.5" wider width. That gives the sedan an extra .7" of clearance under the fenders (.34" on each side). With the correct offset, you can go with a 235 on the sedan where the max is 225 with the wagon (you need the correct offset with both or you will get rubbing.
Old 01-29-2003, 02:35 PM
VIP Member

Speaking of RE-92's, I need to drive harder to wear these darn things out! That way I can justify to my wife why I need to spend $500 on tires to put on the P7's that are sitting in my garage! I can't wait to get my tax return!;-)

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that I was able to pick up my New Braunsfel BBQ'er from Home Depot last summer. It was too big to put into the back of my wife's minivan without taking out two rows of seats so I just took my wagon!! No problem except loading it into the back of he car without scratching the bumper.

Last edited by Sea Dragon Rex; 01-29-2003 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-30-2003, 08:21 AM

Car Info: MY97 Impreza Outback Sport Wagon RED/GREY
Smile my 2 cents

Having owned my wagon for a while and not having it moded at all. I can't comment on 1/4 mile times and those type of things. But if you look at subarus (not just Imprezas) on the road most are wagons and that is because they are such a useful tool and they are fun and easy to drive. When I got my Wagon I test drove it for a day (cause it was a used car) and fell in love in about 1 min after punching the gas and having great acceleration (compared to all the other cars I had been test driving). But I really fell in love later when I saw how useful having all that room to haul pretty much anything I want (within reasonable limits) was. And after you drive the wagon you feel all cramped in the sedan and I say that not being that big of a guy.
Well enough of my rambling buy what you want as long as its a Subaru

Quick Reply: WRX Wagon or Sedan