Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Why did Subaru bring the 2.5 liter engine to the U.S.? (was: your honest opinion)

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 03:26 AM

Car Info: Subaru wrx
Why did Subaru bring the 2.5 liter engine to the U.S.? (was: your honest opinion)

Reasons/opinions behind why subaru brought the 2.5 here in the US and them keeping the 2.0 powerplant.

Last edited by Roundhead08; 03-17-2007 at 03:26 AM. Reason: wrong grammar
Old 03-17-2007, 05:56 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Makes more power than the 2.0 U.S.-spec engine, which is down on power compared with the same sized engine available in other parts of the world due to emissions equipment and lower fuel quality at the gas pumps.

0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 03-17-2007, 10:24 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
The whole world receives the 2.5 liter engine except for Japan. We're not the only country that has it now.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:50 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
The Forester STi has the EJ25 now.

In the Japanese registration system the amount you pay is based on 2 things.

1. Dimensions of the car.
2. Dispacement of the engine.

If a manufacturer keeps a car at the same size and increases the displacement from 2.0 to above 2.4, then the cost of registering and re-registering increases significantly.

Nissan learnt their lesson when going from the S13 chasis to the S14. The increase in the size of the car, while keeping the engine at 2.0 liters pissed off a significant portion of their customers (they still boiught the S14) but when Nissan decided to replace the S14, they went back the the S13's chasis dimensions on the S15 (increased the power while at it) and brought the cost of owner ship down for thier buyers.

The ONLY reason the EJ25 is used here in the states is to achive comparable numbers for the USDM STi vs. the JDM STi.

With US emissions standards the EJ20 can not meet the JDM EJ20's power and torque output. The addition of 2 catalytic converters on the USDM EJ20 is the main culprit.

So, Subaru of America put the EJ25 into the STi to get the power that it's Japanese cousin has.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:59 AM

Car Info: 413whp/461wtq
Great explanation Red Stage, I was sort of wondering as well.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Ver IV STi Wagon
no problem. One good thing about neing Navy and going back to Japan....registering cars for us is ALOT cheaper.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:16 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by RedStage

The ONLY reason the EJ25 is used here in the states is to achive comparable numbers for the USDM STi vs. the JDM STi.

With US emissions standards the EJ20 can not meet the JDM EJ20's power and torque output. The addition of 2 catalytic converters on the USDM EJ20 is the main culprit.

So, Subaru of America put the EJ25 into the STi to get the power that it's Japanese cousin has.
Didn't know that pretty interesting.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:12 PM

Car Info: 04 PSM WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by RedStage

A question. How come Mitsu didn't have to increase displacement for the Evo? Not trying to start anything, but always found that interesting. Also, am I correct in saying that the turbocharger unit is different between the JDM EJ207 and the USDM EJ257? It's kinda a bummer that Subaru and Mitsubishi won't let us have the better stuff. No SAYC on the Evo, and no 2.0 in the STI which hinders what basically is a Spec C STI. Mitsubishi will have AYC in the USDM Evo X (considering that it's deeply integrated into the car's design), so I wonder if Subaru will bring over a proper Spec C to battle it.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
The Evo motor is very strong. Its an iron block and can take a lot of abuse. Subaru engines are made of aluminum and significantly lighter but also weaker. The numbers Subaru wanted out of 2.0 liters on American gas and an aluminum block just wasn't going to happen.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by nKoan
The Evo motor is very strong. Its an iron block and can take a lot of abuse. Subaru engines are made of aluminum and significantly lighter but also weaker. The numbers Subaru wanted out of 2.0 liters on American gas and an aluminum block just wasn't going to happen.
Are you saying that Mitsubishi just cranked up the boost for the USDM Evos?
Old 03-19-2007, 10:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by Angelus897
I don't know if they did or not. But they probably were able to run the same timing and compression (or very similar) as the Japanese counterparts.
Old 03-19-2007, 10:56 PM

Car Info: www.pinoymamba.tumblr.com
Originally Posted by Angelus897
Arent' they 20+ psi? Or so i heard.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:05 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2017 CWP WRX & 2007 SWP WRX
good info in this thread, keep it coming.

i wish subaru would get the ayc, wasnt it in the P2 car?
Old 03-20-2007, 08:44 AM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
Originally Posted by 03_Impreza_Al
Arent' they 20+ psi? Or so i heard.
The Evo IX peaks at 20psi but tapers down to 16psi near redline (according to evolutiom.net)

Another factor is the 4g63 is Mitsu's only engine that's worth a crap. It wouldn't make sense to them to try and built a substitute engine just for the USDM spec Evos. So they tweaked it enough to work well with American gas. Now that globalization has a firm grasp on everything, enter the Evo X with it's new and unproven open deck aluminum block. I suspect a few 4g63 swaps in it's future.

Subaru didn't mind didn't mind building a turbo 2.5L version of the EJ20. They were also able to get more power and torque out of it all while meeting emission standards. The EJ207 would be nice to have over here, but the EJ257 is not anything to scoff at either. As for the Spec C, I'm sure the price would be close to, or at, $40K. I don't see Americans coughing up that kind of dough when other cars such as the Lotus Elise, Shelby Cobra, Corvette, and other hard hitting sports cars are in that price realm. What does the Spec C have to offer over the standard STI besides some tweaked handling, a little less unsprung weight, and no creature comforts?

... discuss

Last edited by Superglue WRX; 03-20-2007 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-20-2007, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by wrxtunerd
good info in this thread, keep it coming.

i wish subaru would get the ayc, wasnt it in the P2 car?
Yep, I believe so. I remember watching BMI Vol. 5 (Impreza vs. Lancer), and in it Tsuchiya says that Subaru achieves superb handling with a great chassis and mechanical diffs, while Mitsubishi does this by using active computer diffs. He also says that he would like to see the Impreza's great chassis grouped with active computer diffs (you've seen what the P2 can do).

Originally Posted by Superglue WRX
Subaru didn't mind didn't mind building a turbo 2.5L version of the EJ20. They were also able to get more power and torque out of it all while meeting emission standards. The EJ207 would be nice to have over here, but the EJ257 is not anything to scoff at either. As for the Spec C, I'm sure the price would be close to, or at, $40K. I don't see Americans coughing up that kind of dough when other cars such as the Lotus Elise, Shelby Cobra, Corvette, and other hard hitting sports cars are in that price realm. What does the Spec C have to offer over the standard STI besides some tweaked handling, a little less unsprung weight, and no creature comforts?

... discuss
Well, the next Evo is supposed to take on the M3 (which is around $50k), and the current Evo is already a $38k car (MR ver). I would gladly pay $40k for a Spec C. The handling difference between a regular STI and a Spec C are supposedly quite grand.

PS: You mention the Lotus Elise, Shelby GT500, Corvette. The Lotus Elise doesn't have ANY creature comforts and has a Toyota Celica engine. The GT500 is a worthless piece of crap (this is coming from a Ford fanatic). The Corvette is good, but doesn't offer seating for 4.

Last edited by Angelus897; 03-20-2007 at 10:31 AM.

Quick Reply: Why did Subaru bring the 2.5 liter engine to the U.S.? (was: your honest opinion)