Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

where do u guys learn sooo much about cars (subies)

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 10:51 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Originally posted by the doktor
I can't learn that much by just reading about it.....I have to do it.
but, the boards have helped me get in contact with a few people

I also went to school for a month for the Army to learn general maintance/repairs on diesels, just simple stuff.

awns729- where's rockland county (N,S,E,W?) I'm from Otsego county in central NY
I learn it, then go out and try it on my car Works pretty well, especially when you start to realize that cars are mostly just alot of bolts
Old 05-10-2003, 07:03 AM

i worked for these guys for a little while...learned a ton

www.moslerauto.com
Old 05-10-2003, 11:01 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
another question...when you buy something that you cant install yourselve, where do u take it?
Old 05-10-2003, 11:14 AM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
I started working on cars when I was 11 or so in 72'. Where I grew up there wasn't much to do but be a Motorhead. Most things were trial and error and learning stuff the hard way. The trick is to not to be afraid to give it a try and take your time. I've skinned every knuckel more times than I can remember. The guy that got me interested in working on cars use to work on my parents VW Beatles. I wonder whatever happened to Udo?

Last edited by Peaty; 05-10-2003 at 11:19 AM.
Old 05-10-2003, 11:19 AM
VIP Member

i would love to be able to do that...but i dont have a car to work on and no tools...oh and i dont (personally) know anyone that knows more about cars than i
Old 05-10-2003, 12:35 PM
VIP Member

i also loose interest before i put things back together...most of the time....yeah im going to get an RC car this summer i think...should i get the type that you have to assemble yourself?...ill look into gettin a summer job also...thnx

oh and...i already have a basic understanding of how engines work

Last edited by awns729; 05-10-2003 at 12:38 PM.
Old 05-10-2003, 02:29 PM
VIP Member

i dont have much $$ to spend on an RC car but im gonna check them out and see what i can get...
timing is when the spark plug sparks to ignite the fuel...if its off then the fuel will ignite too late/early and possibly when a valve is open
the air/fuel ratio is the ratio of air to fuel in the combustion chamber
the compression ratio the ratio or air to fuel after its compressed?
spark plugs ignite the fuel after its compressed
turbos take exhaust gas to spin a turbine(or something?) which spins compressor wheel which compresses the air coming in from the intercooler and sends it to the engine...the exhaust air is brought to the turbos inlet through the uppipe and leaves through the downpipe and then goes through the midpipe to the muffler...
the higher the displacement the more room for combustion to occur which equals more power...so if u have a 2.0L turbocharged motor and a 2.5L turbocharged motor under the exact same conditions the 2.5 will be more powerful because more fuel is crammed in and combusted
...ok how wrong am i on this stuff?
Old 05-10-2003, 04:24 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
I usually get a set of factory manuals every time I get a new car but for the 99RS the cost was 600 usd or so because it came with a ton of books
Old 05-10-2003, 09:05 PM
VIP Member

Talking

yeah ive read that article already...thats how i know most of the stuff i know...and im gonna figure out a way to get an RC by the summer...galactichero suggested a book and i think its the only thing i can afford so im gonna get that...and then save up for the car...thnx...abaxter34 thnx for the info...ill check out the mag...peaty could i get just one of the manuals for less $$??...thnx...x1 didnt the rex come to us in '00 not '02? and im gonna go see if i can get a job that has anything to do with cars..i would love to do something like what you used to do...thnx.....

thanx for all the great info everyone!!!

Last edited by awns729; 05-12-2003 at 08:57 PM.

Quick Reply: where do u guys learn sooo much about cars (subies)