Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

What is rice?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2003, 11:04 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX Sedan MBP/17X7.5 SSR Comps/225 Kumho MX
I've had a couple of "rice rockets" over the years and have no problem with that name. As I see it, a rice rocket is a very fast 4-cylinder car of asian origin.

"Rice" is different. If something is rice on a car then it's an add-on item (usually) that has no useful function other than to make the car look faster or more expensive than the stock model. LED windshield washer nozzle lights are rice, so are underbody neons, chromed engine parts, non-aerodynamic "aero" body parts, illuminated shifter *****, "graphite" interior part covers, decals all over the car...unless you are racing it, loud BOV's, and altezza-style lights.

But if you like rice, that's OK, too. People have been doing rice for a long time. Remember tailfins on the '59 Fairlane? Pure rice. How about three or four chromed jerry cans on a Jeep CJ? Or static straps during the sixties, fake hood scoops, sheepskin seat covers, chromed nudie mudflaps, fake P-51 style exhaust ports on fifties cars, or the current plastic body cladding on current SUV's or spinners...all rice.

I really like Ed's definition: "Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements."
Old 12-01-2003, 12:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
simply (over exaggerated, i know) :
Attached Thumbnails What is rice?-253-40230-1522.jpg  
Old 12-01-2003, 08:05 PM

who came up with the term "rice"? japan isn't really known for rice, in actuality... aren't they famous for sushi? and would you call domestic "rice" hamburger or hotdog? :banana:
Old 12-01-2003, 08:22 PM

Car Info: 04 Blue TS
Originally posted by chipmOnk
who came up with the term "rice"? japan isn't really known for rice, in actuality... aren't they famous for sushi? and would you call domestic "rice" hamburger or hotdog? :banana:
I would call it POS
Old 12-01-2003, 08:51 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Bet You Can't Eat Just One for $400, please.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 12-06-2003, 03:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
Originally posted by MaverickR
...i can tell you guys this much tho, i cant even remember how many wrx'z i've destroyed on the freeway with my bone stock type R.
You can't remember because its never happened.
Old 12-06-2003, 04:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Good one awns!
Old 12-07-2003, 05:12 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
^^^
Thank God I haven't seen one in person yet...
Old 12-07-2003, 09:25 PM

Car Info: 01' RS Sedan silverthorne
haha underbody neons....
Old 12-11-2003, 01:55 AM

Car Info: 03 rex 18" konig, HKS bov
Show/Rice/Performance

Clarification for those who need it. Rice came about cuz of american cars boyz. They called the imports trying to get into the market (show/speed) rice, as they are japanese. we got that out of the way. Japanese car=rice. now, we had created asub group called rice to point out people who turn thier cars into show, rather than performance. Having titnted windows is not rice. Neither are glow kits. They are show modifications. Some people like to bring attention to their cars, others like sleepers. I havent heard a halfway decent exaust on a wrx yet, they are all rice with garbage cans on the end (Sorry, allthe boys have stangs and maros, and I am a stang fan.) And, the STi wing is defintly rice, even if the car is and STi, and even worse when it is not. MY POINT: don't clown becuase you dont agree the money somebody else is spending is not in line with yours. For perfformance guys, why bother to mod your car, its gonna be beat by somebody else. The WHOLE thing about cars and mods is to have fun, and clowning on others is b/s. you dont know when the civic next to you with glow lights punches it and you end up see his tail lights. Laters

Quick Reply: What is rice?