Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

What causes "bogging", how to not bog?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 05:38 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX wagon
There is another way to start on an incline, but it is more difficult than using the e-brake. Heel and toe the gas/brake to give some gas as you engage the clutch and release the brakes. I like e-brake best. Side question: with the daylight running lights on, engaging the e-brake turns them off! This doesn't happen when headlights are are full. Is there any way to keep the daylights on when the e-brake is engaged?
Old 07-08-2003, 03:47 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
So what causes bogging?

I mean what is happening to the car mechanically when you bog?
Old 07-08-2003, 04:03 PM

Basically what is happening is that the engine's RPMs are too low to allow for clutch slippage which is important for a smooth take-off. The clutch grabs too much essentially braking the engine which causes the RPMs to drop further which is the "bogging down". At this point the engine either gets more fuel which allows it to catch up and accellerate or it stalls and you get stink eye from other drivers.
Old 07-08-2003, 04:17 PM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
finese and timing fellas, finese and timing.
Old 07-09-2003, 09:40 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
I have found that the "less is more" approach to the accelorator pedal helps also. On other makes and models, the harder you press on the accelorator, the faster you go. When driving my wrx, I only use about a quarter of the gas pedal and notice a big difference in engine response. Also, a little bump on the accelorator also helps, as Christian stated earlier. Find a nice deserted parking lot with a fairly steep incline and see if this helps.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:17 AM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow

I am going to practice what everyone has just posted here this weekend on an abonded road that has a hill on it, pretty steap actually. I don't really have to much of a problem on hills EXCEPT when the guy behinds me says to himself "I think I am going to get a close as possible to Nigel's rear bumper" then I go into panic mode, saying to myself, oh great, I can't coast back, I can't stall, I have to take off easy, but don't burn the clutch out, your adding too much gas, let the clutch out, not enough, too much.... lol

All that goes through my head about 100 times, then I normal jerk or "bog" and stall... then I will try again, then I usually will get it, if not and I stall again, I wave the person behind me to pass me...

But you guys are right, just gotta practice, practice, practice... :-)

-Nigel
Old 07-10-2003, 08:18 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon
Just so you guys know, the e-brake method on hills is the method that we are taught in Europe. In fact, you will FAIL your driving test if you don't use it on a hill. It does no damage to the car and actually causes less strain on the clutch. It will also ensure, done correctly, that you do not slip back at all on the hill and endanger the car behind you.