Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

VIR with PCA was a blast!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2003, 11:24 AM

Car Info: STI Track Car, Titan Tow Vehicle, Mazda3 DD
VIR with PCA was a blast!

Just wanted to say thanks to Jon, Chris, Rob, and Jim. You guys made the event so much more fun.

Well, our little Subaru crew definitely surprised a few Porsche owners this past weekend. It was quite an event with a LOT of really nice Porsches there. The '85 962 was definitely the highlight. That thing was flying around the course and the turbo sound was incredible.

I definitely passed a LOT more cars than passed me. As a matter of fact, on Sunday, not one car passed me, but I passed 7-8 each time. One of the other Porsche drivers came up to me and quoted his instructor saying, "I don't know what that is, but it's a fast f***er!" And my instructor was saying that people in front of me were probably surprised as hell when this big black "watchamaf**k" came up on their bumper.

Chris was impressively fast. We were able to run together a few times and he was definitely quicker through a couple of the tight sections in that little GC6. If I hadn't had about 80HP on him, I'm sure we would have run together all day. The only places I could really catch him was on the long straights. Under braking too, but I think that was mostly because his pads started giving up.

Rob looked really good in his group and should definitely have been moved up, but hey, I know he still had a lot of fun. Except for that "Jetta Lady" shushing him in glass. I'd say Rob holds a grudge.

Jon was really quick too. I think the little bit of knock he saw caused him to be a bit more conservative on the straights, but he was super quick in the corners. Definitely another wagon to watch out for at the track!

Jim was our "support crew". Thanks for helping move stuff around, work on the cars, and especially for video taping a lot of our runs! (I'm still so pissed that I for got the piece for my in-car camera mount )

It was an awesome weekend and my first time at VIR. That track is incredible. Just so much fun. The climbing esses were a blast! Loved the roller coaster too. I saw about 122MPH on the back strecth, but I don't know what I ws up to on the front stretch because I never looked down at the speedo. The front stretch takes a lot more concentration because it's not really straight. It has this right hand bend in it and this small downhill right before the the first corner that unweights the car a little, so you really have to work to keep the car steady.

Thanks again guys and extra thanks to Rob for the tent! That thing was a life saver during the rain on Saturday.

Here are some pics:

The Crew:

Free beer in the G&W Racing Shop:

The Subies:

The Wagons:

The 962 :