Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Upshifting (part2)

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2003, 11:54 PM

Car Info: '03 Impreza WRX
In theory starting from stationary should be easier than shifting, in practice it's often tougher and any mistake you make will be more pronounced.

If you overgas it, you will lurch... undergas and you risk a stall - it's all about the biting point.

I haven't driven a Saturn so it's tough to use that as a reference but I find my Impreza likes the gas, so I'd err a bit heavy on the right foot if anything. Maybe 1000-1500rpm if you want to watch the guage... I do it by feel myself.

Rattling/juddering means you're not making the clutch/gas transition cleanly. Ideally you should bring clutch up and gas down till you reach biting point - maybe 1/3 up, 1/4 down but that's pure ballpark - then ease the clutch up the rest of the way, maybe pushing the gas a little more.

If you're struggling, try doing it slower and you should be able to feel when the clutch starts to engage and transfer power - biting point.

Every car is different, you just have to learn the general skills and then adjust to the specific car you're driving. Case in point, I drove my old Civic today after two weeks of driving only the Impreza - my shifting was off for the first few miles (and I drove that car for a good six years).

A couple of weeks ago, I reached the point where I could drive both fairly smoothly but my shifting was never quite as good as when I drove one or the other exclusively.

Last edited by bonkers; 08-14-2003 at 11:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2003, 05:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
Is he letting you redline it?
Old 08-16-2003, 01:47 AM

It does get easier - the more you drive a stick, the smoother your shifting will become and the easier you will find adapting to other cars.

Going back to an auto isn't bad either, so long as you drive right-foot only - once you've trained your left foot to the clutch you don't ever want to use it for the brake again. (Driving an auto one-footed is a doddle after driving a stick, trust me )

When making that clutch/gas transition remember, better slow than jerky - you wont stall the engine by hovering on biting point. (Just don't sit at lights that way 'cos you wont do your clutch much good long term)

One more thing... avoid hill starts on your test drive - the possibility of rollback adds pressure to you and makes setting off that much more difficult.

If you can't avoid it, use the parking brake to keep you stationary while you find biting point and then release both the brake and the clutch.
(The ideal is that you sit in 1st with clutch in and brake pedal to hold you and then switch your right foot from brake to gas and find biting point before you roll back - needless to say that takes some practice!)

Don't be afraid to be a bit heavier on the gas for hill starts and much as I hate to say it, remember that a WRX doesn't have a lot of guts in 1st (least my wagon doesn't).
Old 08-16-2003, 09:30 AM

Of course if you hit 2nd with the turbo spinning.... VROOM!