Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Ultimate lightweight mod

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2003, 09:15 PM
Admin v2.0

Car Info: 02 Black Legacy GT
Ultimate lightweight mod

This isn't for everyone, but it is the that ultimate lightweight mod that only the most dedicated (read: crazy) people do. It involves removing the insulating material from all over the car. You know, that sticky dynomat-like stuff? Well, up until last night I knew of only the messiest ways to remove it from the car's body. You can heat it up and peal it off. You can acetone it off. You can wirewheel it off. But, thats messy, hard and it will look ugly.

So last night I was talking to my pal Jerry who just came back from Japan. There, they visited Phase (Honda tuner) and were watching them prepping a brand new Accord Euro R for the Autosalon. One of the things they did, is they removed that gunk/dynomat stuff from the entire car. So Jerry took mental notes and told me about it.

And here is how you can do it very fast. Hell, even your neighbour's 8 year old daughter can do it.

You take a small hammer and with a ball end start tappin on that dynomat. You will hear it crackling. Once you worked the entire section, simply peal it off. No mess, no need to repaint, no smell.

Amazing, isn't it? I didn't belevie him until I tried it myself. I was as amazed as when I lifted my first titamium exhaust. Crazy stuff.

I am going to "bang" my car from this stuff on Wed.

- Alex
Old 01-18-2003, 09:30 PM

Make sure you post how much weight you actually took off. I can't imaging it being anything really to great. Good luck though, take pics if possible, I'm curious to see how it turns out.
Old 01-19-2003, 01:24 AM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Theres a post on the other club about this alex from like the beginning of last year I think, or later. Someone removed all the sound deadening material from their GC8, but I think he used some dry ice to make it brittle and easier to remove.