Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Thinking of switching to 90 octane

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2013, 08:06 AM

Thinking of switching to 90 octane

Just wondering if anyone has tried it. Reason why I am thinking of switching to it is because it is a non ethanol fuel, which in theory should make my car run better, produce more mileage, and be cleaner to run in my engine due to no ethanol.

This is my first turbo, awd, and stick car just seeing if anyone has any input on this. I know ethanol free gas is real big in some northern states. The only con so far I can come up with us the price. It's about 10-15 cents more expensive.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:10 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
I think you got it all twisted buddy. Ethanol burns cleaner than gas by a long shot.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:20 AM

I work for a fuel distribution company. Ethanol is one of the worst things that is put into your engine. It breaks down your seals, clogs your injectors, and wears out your parts. That's why most motorcycles, boats, and old cars continually have to be rebuilt.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:22 AM

Ethanol is more friendly for the environment. Thats about the only thing good about it.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:27 AM

Car Info: 2002
Originally Posted by wreck1tralph
I work for a fuel distribution company. Ethanol is one of the worst things that is put into your engine. It breaks down your seals, clogs your injectors, and wears out your parts. That's why most motorcycles, boats, and old cars continually have to be rebuilt.
That's only if you don't covert the right parts to run ethanol. As for clogging injectors, that really depends on the blend. I have heard from some of the evo guys that had a clogged injector issue...but I forget which brand of e85 mixture they were running.
Old 04-18-2013, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Drew's rex

That's only if you don't covert the right parts to run ethanol. As for clogging injectors, that really depends on the blend. I have heard from some of the evo guys that had a clogged injector issue...but I forget which brand of e85 mixture they were running.
Gotcha. At any rate the better gas mileage will still apply considering ethanol burns faster than fuel. And given anything 87-93 is 10% ethanol. 85 is 15%. I know several people that use it just none of them are turboed.
Old 04-18-2013, 09:20 AM

Car Info: 2002
Just to give you a heads up 93 octane is recommended minimal octane rating in Japan and 91 is the minimal in the US. So if you choose to run 90 octane, you will have to get tuned for that gas. Otherwise you risk a lot of detonation.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:52 AM

Car Info: LUMPY CGM 05 WRX
Well Damn it all to hell I'm running 85% ethonol. Lol. I'm no rocket scientist but. ....91 octane actually burns slower than 87, 89, or 90. 90 octane will have more tenancy to detonate without a proper tune. I would not run it unless tuned/or in this case detuned for it. The milage gains probably won't be worth the performance loss.

Last edited by Shayhan27; 04-18-2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:04 AM

10-4 thanks for the input guys. They only offer 93 100 and 85 around here where I'm at I was just looking to prolong the life of my engine. I hate ethanol it's so bad for your parts. Ill do some more research on it but will probably be sticking with 93 for the time being.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:10 AM

Car Info: 2005 WRX
10-4 thanks for the input guys. They only offer 93 100 and 85 around here where I'm at I was just looking to prolong the life of my engine. I hate ethanol it's so bad for your parts. Ill do some more research on it but will probably be sticking with 93 for the time being.
Run 93 at the bare minimal. I would not run 90 without tuning for it. That also goes for 93 as well. However, running higher octane is better than running on low octane. You need a Cobb Accessport so that you can use one of their off the shelf maps suitable for 93 octane.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by strider327

Run 93 at the bare minimal. I would not run 90 without tuning for it. That also goes for 93 as well. However, running higher octane is better than running on low octane. You need a Cobb Accessport so that you can use one of their off the shelf maps suitable for 93 octane.
That's what I'm currently doing. I plan on getting a Cobb access as soon as I sell my old rims. Just got the car it's a 04 wrx sti. Wanted one of these cars my whole life, just trying to think of ways to make sure she runs efficiently and effectively.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:43 AM
Nobody likes the tuna here

Car Info: 03 SRP WRX Street Class Prepped, 17 Chevy Duramax
I use E85 as an octane booster to get a 93 mix outta the crappy CA fuels here.

I have no issues whatsoever on a tune that was meant for 93.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:13 AM
If in doubt, FLAT OUT

Car Info: 2010 Hatch, 2011 Sedan
Gotcha. At any rate the better gas mileage will still apply considering ethanol burns faster than fuel. And given anything 87-93 is 10% ethanol. 85 is 15%. I know several people that use it just none of them are turboed.
Since you seem to have a lot of bad info, your best bet is to stick with 91 and seek the advice of a good shop that knows what they are doing. Ethanol has LESS energy than gas. Your mileage will go DOWN, not up, even when tuned for it.

...just trying to think of ways to make sure she runs efficiently and effectively.
The first step to that is to make sure everything the car has STOCK works properly before you start messing with things. Picking things you think will work or that "someone told me blah blah blah" isn't the path to efficient or effective in most cases.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by 04GG

Since you seem to have a lot of bad info, your best bet is to stick with 91 and seek the advice of a good shop that knows what they are doing. Ethanol has LESS energy than gas. Your mileage will go DOWN, not up, even when tuned for it.

This is not a he said she said bit of information. I'm in the fuel distribution business, the company I work for owns 5 marathons and an automotive shop. I gathered this information by seeing it first hand. Not to mention the state of Michigan is strictly an ethanol free state. You will void your warranty if you use it in a car that you buy there. With pure fuel you get better gas mileage, plus less wear and tear on your engine.

The first step to that is to make sure everything the car has STOCK works properly before you start messing with things. Picking things you think will work or that "someone told me blah blah blah" isn't the path to efficient or effective in most cases.
This I am currently doing ATM. Lol I'm going through this thing fine a fine toothed comb. As far as I can tell the only thing that isn't stock is a subaru factory performed cat back exhaust.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:57 AM

[QUOTE="04GG;3386621"]

This is not a he said she said bit of information. I'm in the fuel distribution business, the company I work for owns 5 marathons and an automotive shop. I gathered this information by seeing it first hand. Not to mention the state of Michigan is strictly an ethanol free state. You will void your warranty if you use it in a car that you buy there. With pure fuel you get better gas mileage, plus less wear and tear on your engine.

Quick Reply: Thinking of switching to 90 octane