Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Thinking of buying a WRX...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2003, 02:42 PM
General Pimpin'

Car Info: MY04 aspen wrx wagon.
I come from a civic.

I have only had my wrx about 6 weeks so I can only share with stuff from so far and stuff I have read.

1) No recalls so far with the 04. No major issues that I have seen or heard of so far. Paint sucks...especially compared to the paint on your si.

2) service depends on where you buy it. I recommend Santa Cruz subaru because they offer free oil changes and car washes and so far they have been great to me. I broke my stereo and they warrantied it no questions asked. Carlsen and Livermore both have great reputations as well....let us know where you're from and we'll tell you where to go and who to talk too.

3) reliability is great. Subaru's have been know to run for 2-300k just like hondas. You can expect this car to last longer than you are going to keep it. As for gas mileage...it stinks...thanks to california gas my best tank of gas got me 22.8mpg. Average is about 19.5.

4) Shifting is very honda like. Has very high contact and shifts very smooth....I found my civic to have a great clutch/transmission... they have a reputation as being some of the best around. If you buy one I recommend the factory short throw. It's very close ratio and hard to miss shift. And you can definately feel it working.

5) yes option.. Definately get the short throw and the arm rest extention.

no options. you can get a better boost guage for about the same price...and find factory one for about $80 nearly every week. same for the guage pack...expensive. I would stay away from the upgrades stereo if you are an audiofile..are used to after market stereo sound. If you plan on leaving the stereo stock and aren't a sound junky then the factory upgrade is a must. It works good for that and the base system bites in a big way.

as for apearence stuff....I'd do it outside of the factory... you can get side skirts for about $170. Body panels are easy to find...I highly recommend the factory pieces....nice looking...don't ask the factory for it they will over charge you. I highly recommend the JDM headlights...HIDS can be had for around $750 non for around $450.

that's it from me. I hope you get it...you'll like it.
Old 09-23-2003, 04:07 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Re: Thinking of buying a WRX...

Originally posted by Si-WRX
1) Any recalls, general problems, concerns I should consider with this car? Keep in mind this will be a daily driver and wont see 5k launches at the track, or on the street, it will be driven responsibly.
There are no recalls for the WRX ('02, '03, or '04) that I know of. However, there are a some TSB (technical service bulletins) for the '02's & '03's on a couple of different issues.

2) How is Subarus service? I know Honda can be a PIA when it comes to warranty work.
I've found that service is dependent on the dealership and the condition of your vehicle (i.e. performance mods).

3) How is Subaru reliability? Is it possible to get Honda like mileage from a factory turboed car if well maintained? This car wont be modded, motor wise anyway.
From my research I've found Subaru to be quite reliable. My personal experience is only based on my '03 WRX that I've had for 1 year/17,000 miles. ........no problems so far.

btw, as for the paint quality.........I've found it to be thin. However, it's not much different than other vehicles (different makes) that I've owned. I just keep it waxed and try to avoid situations that would cause chips.

Originally posted by Si-WRX 4) How does it shift? Smooth manual? My 99 Si I would rate as a PIA, driving this thing really is in a class by itself, the small motor doesnt make stick driving easy.
The WRX shifts well in my opinion. There does seem to be an issue with getting the car in reverse at times (no synchros for that gear). Also, some have complained about not being able to shift into 1st while moving. If I ever find myself needing to do this, I just double clutch/rev match and it slides right in.

Originally posted by Si-WRX 5) What kind of options should I look for getting? Which ones are a waste? I know the unnecessary ones can really jack the price way up. I want the spoiler, that I know, but what else is offered that is recommend? Factory ground effect package? Just curious how you guys are equiping yours and for what reasons.
Get the options you think you won't be able to install yourself (or don't want to bother with). An example would be the rear spoiler or something like the short throw shifter. However, here's a list of items you should buy "after the fact" (if you decide you want them):

- Factory alarm
- Armrest extension
- Cabin filter
- Auto dimming mirror/compass

These items can be purchased for a much cheaper price than if you had them installed by the dealer. Also, they come with easy to follow instructions and are very simple to install. The WRX is pre-wired and no splicing is necessary (plug and play).

- Kean
Old 09-23-2003, 06:49 PM

Car Info: 05 CGM FXT STi
do not buy the upgraded speaker package, they are crap. the short throw shifter and boost guage are a definate must have. I went wingless when it came to the spoiler, but I was never too hot on the factory wing. The STI wing on the other hand is beautiful.

the wrx will not shift like your honda, it takes some getting used to but it definately likes to shift at high RPMs.

one thing I do warn on and strongly advise against is dumping the clutch. you can do it all day in a 5spd honda, but the first time you do it in the wrx, you WILL break the transmission...and SOA is known for denial of warranty due to abuse.

my warranty got denied, even though I didnt abuse it, I'm hoping that after my small claims suit I might be able to restore some faith in Subaru.

Dont get me wrong, this car is amazing, I would never consider buying anything else, it is one of the funnest cars I have ever owned or driven. It has everything, AWD, plenty of power ( although some of us crave more) good looks, and a nice interior, all for a very decent price. Buy the wrx, you wont regret it!
Old 09-23-2003, 06:53 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
the factory upgraded speakers are worth it if u dont plan on aftermaket...the security system, spoiler, premium package, short throw, and armrest extension are things i would get...
1)yeh...sureeeee....no launches my @$$, lol
good luck!
Old 09-23-2003, 07:31 PM

Car Info: Not a WRX any more . . .

1) Any recalls, general problems, concerns I should consider with this car? Keep in mind this will be a daily driver and wont see 5k launches at the track, or on the street, it will be driven responsibly.
The transmission seems to be the weakest point in the car.
2) How is Subarus service?
Seems to depend a lot on the dealer. As I've said elsewhere: According to Consumer Reports, Subaru is just above Honda delaers in terms of customer satisfaction, at numbers 23 and 24 out of 30 brands. In general, the more reliable a car, the more the dealers feel the need to screw you over to make money. Breaking that rule, VW is at 26 (unreliable and bad dealers) and Toyota has climbed from their usual position in absolute last place to 27 in the last survey! Saturn is #1, Mitsubishi is #30.

3) How is Subaru reliability?
Again shamelessly stolen from a post I made elsewhere: In CR's predicted reliability of current models, "small car" categorey, the Civic is #6 out of 17, Impreza is #7. 1-3 are all Toyotas, #17 is the Ford Focus, with some VWs and the Neon just above it. CR says their rating of the Impreza is heavily weighted by the 2002 model year, which I note was the roll out of a new model and as is often the case for a new model, had more than the usual number of problems.

4) How does it shift?
Ok. When I was trying cars, it seems about middle of the pack. The manual on the old Integra GSRs was much nicer, the short throw one on the RSX is worse. It's a little better than my Jetta, I haven't made any bad shifts in the WRX.

5) What kind of options should I look for getting?
Of course the main option you will want is to get a wagon!

I would avoid the center arm rest extension, I think it just gets in the way so I didn't get one. I did get the stereo upgrade, and I think it was a waste of money -- if you spend the same on an aftermarket system you'll do much better. (The $300 Kenwood on my Jetta's factory speakers sounds much better.) I did get the center gauge pod because I wanted something low key, but don't pay more than invoice for it (and many consider even that insane). The steering colunm boost gauge is ok but kind of in the way. Premium package is worth it if you get the sedan. Trunk liner and cargo bin if you get the wagon. The rubber floor mats are not great, get aftermarket instead if you want those.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:36 PM

Car Info: Not a WRX any more . . .
Re: Re: Thinking of buying a WRX...

Originally posted by Kean
These items can be purchased for a much cheaper price than if you had them installed by the dealer.
I ordered my car, and got all the options at invoice . . . another thing to consider.
Old 09-23-2003, 09:06 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
Re: Re: Re: Thinking of buying a WRX...

Originally posted by bclee
I ordered my car, and got all the options at invoice . . . another thing to consider.
A savings could be had on some accesories (i.e. armrest could cost $94 @ invoice vs ~$105 via a parts distributor). However, something else to consider is that you would be financing the options you choose (provided you're not paying for the purchase in full).

- Kean
Old 09-23-2003, 10:31 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)

I currently drive a 99 Si. I love the car, but since the redesign of the WRX in 04 I have fell in love with it. I am not looking for an Sti, I am only 21 and insurance would KILL me, although I would love one. Now I got some general questions:
2) How is Subarus service? I know Honda can be a PIA when it comes to warranty work.
3) How is Subaru reliability? Is it possible to get Honda like mileage from a factory turboed car if well maintained? This car wont be modded, motor wise anyway.
4) How does it shift? Smooth manual? My 99 Si I would rate as a PIA, driving this thing really is in a class by itself, the small motor doesnt make stick driving easy.
5) What kind of options should I look for getting? Which ones are a waste? I know the unnecessary ones can really jack the price way up. I want the spoiler, that I know, but what else is offered that is recomened? Factory ground effect package? Just curious how you guys are equiping yours and for what reasons.

Thats about all I can think of right now. Thanks for any help you can offer me guys.

1) I got my '03 in Feb and I have had minimal problems with it.
2) Subaru service all depends on the dealer, just like any other manufacturer. There have been lots of post on different dealers, do a search.
3) Subaru is very reliable, however, you will most likely not observe the posted fuel mileage, mainly because of your inabliity to not floor the accelerator. I get about 16~17 mpg realistically.
4) The WRX is not an easy car to drive smoothly, but with experience can be a very smooth car. Just don't shove the clutch in while still accelerating and you're good.
5) The main thing to be sure of here is to not get the BBS wheels (not sure if they are still offered with the '04) Some say that the upgraded sound system is not any good. I like it, it suits me just fine -- cheaper than doing it all yourself, but not as good. Most of the options are really dealer accesories, i.e. turbo guage, diff protector, wheel locks, just do your research and weigh the value of price vs. value to you. Most things can be added afterward, so feel free to change your mind.

Get a WRX, long live the bug eyes.
Old 09-24-2003, 10:11 AM

Car Info: 2003 subaru forester xs
i used to be a honda person. first with a 1994 integra LS, then a 1998 type-r.

too early for 2004 models. power windows start slowing down and require readjustment is the only grievance i can think of on my 02. i have issues with the abs system letting go on me under certain conditions, but i haven't heard ne1 complain with the EBD setup the 02's have. i know my dad's 03 forester w/EBD dosen't do what mine does

subaru isn't much different, but they are a little late in the game since serious modding started with the advent of the 02 wrx. some dealers will flat out refuse any warranty work, others err on the side of reason. i guess it's a game of hit and miss until u luck out with a dealer who respects and modded car and hopefully u won't abuse your warranty priveleges like boosting 300hp and blowing up your motor and then cry to subaru saying it's warranty (just an example)

i've had no real issues other than getting bonked on the head by the hatch and my power window getting stuck. if u are expecting mileage in the 25-30mpg range that i hondas can achieve... not going to happen ...

4) How does it shift? Smooth manual? My 99 Si I would rate as a PIA, driving this thing really is in a class by itself, the small motor doesnt make stick driving easy.
notchy. hondas are typically regarding as one of the best, and subaru cannot compare. but u get used to it because speedshifting to stay in the vtec powerband no longer applies

5) What kind of options should I look for getting? Which ones are a waste? I know the unnecessary ones can really jack the price way up. I want the spoiler, that I know, but what else is offered that is recomened? Factory ground effect package? Just curious how you guys are equiping yours and for what reasons.
no options, unless they are giving it to you. i can't remember if the sunroof is an extra because i never got it in 02 and i want it badly