Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

thinking about buying a wrx....HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 06:55 AM

Talking thinking about buying a wrx....HELP!

I'm am thinking about buying an 03 WRX. Was looking at the wagon first, but noticed that the sedan may be nicer for me, sunroof, leather, etc.

Just wanted your feedback on this car. Things like, how is the wear and tear over the past coupleyears? After you get to 40 - 50K? Worth it? Likes, Dislikes, Etc? overall is it reliable and should last 5-8 years?

Thanks in advance!!

BTW: I test drove a wagon last night from Ron Price in San Bruno, CA. MAN! I used to drive a 00 mustang GT. But this thing was more than fun! I like the power, the handling, but it'll take getting used to the sluggishness at the low end RPM.

Other than that I have concern w/ the size of the car, not completely sold on the interior either.
Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:17 AM

Sunroof and leather is the sedan... were you in an Audi A4 by any chance?
Old 03-11-2003, 07:48 AM

i wish

i wish it were an a4. but it was the wagon. as i was leaving the dealership i saw the sedan w/ leather, and sunroof.
Old 03-11-2003, 07:53 AM

It must be a 2004 then, the first one I have heard off. 2003 didn't have sunroof or leather.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:41 AM

04 already?

not sure if it was an 04. it had the boost guage still on teh steering column. could be dealer aftermarket installs.

anyhow, anyone got feedback for me about my original post? if you love your wrx, SPEAK UP!

If you hate it, SPEAK UP!

I thought I wanted the wagon. But now I am leaning towards the sedan. Not sure if I can wait for the STI!!!!!!
Old 03-11-2003, 07:16 PM

Car Info: 03 Sedona Red WRX
jimmie, it ROCKS

i bought my first wrx sedan in march 01. i got crazy, it's a long stupid story but i traded it in 1.5 months ago on a focus zx3. now, the zx3 is a nice car - fully loaded, all that jazz. the first big hit? when i tried to blast from one stop light to make another that was a block away... the car has enough power and all, but the frickin non-limited slip differential kept me going nowhere fast around that corner and trying to accelerate.

the next big hit? same thing at a stop light trying to get moving - traction related again, this time one wheel was on some snow/ice and the other free and begging for the chance to get some power. but alas, the car just sat there.

the wrx is _the_ perfect car. i could have gone out an gotten an audi, but eh, it's too luxary. i could have gotten a 350z (drool) but i live in wisconsin and that'd be just over the edge enough of impracticality.

the wrx does in fact feel less go-kart like than a zx3, but it feels go-kart enough.

other reasons to LOVE the wrx sedan:

4 doors!, you get to see the hood scoop everytime you climb into it, it's well behaved when you're not looking for excitement - almost passive, everyone who knows cars (especially youth) smile gleefully when you're around, it's very mechanically sound and very reliable, it's got tons of head-room, it's not a trendy car - not your typical boy-racer, you can if you so wish get an all-wheel-drive gas powered r/c wrx and you can go over to your friend's house and play x-box noting that you actually have the car in that rally game : )
Old 03-11-2003, 08:43 PM

Thumbs up thanks sg

thanks for the report. sounds like it was a worthwhile purchase in the frozen tundra.

would love to hear more stories both good and bad from wrx owners.

i'm pretty close to buying one, but am torn between the station wagon and the sedan.