Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Smoke from air conditioning vents?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 10:28 PM

Car Info: www.tristatetuners.com
Question Smoke from air conditioning vents?

I was travelling down the highway for about an hour today, and turned off my air for about 20 minutes to get some fresh air. When I turned it back on, a white smoke came from the vents, and went away after about 15 seconds. No smell. I turned the air off, and when I turned it back on there was another 10 seconds worth of smoke.

I pulled off to make sure nothing was on fire under the hood, and there wasnt. When I got back in, I drove for about 5 minutes before putting the air on. When I switched it on, there was more smoke. It only lasted for another 10 or 15 seconds.

The smoke wasn't hot, and didnt smell like anything. It looked like the steam that you see when you open your freezer.

Anybody know what would cause this?
Old 07-28-2004, 11:15 PM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
Originally Posted by t-wrexxx
I was travelling down the highway for about an hour today, and turned off my air for about 20 minutes to get some fresh air. When I turned it back on, a white smoke came from the vents, and went away after about 15 seconds. No smell. I turned the air off, and when I turned it back on there was another 10 seconds worth of smoke.

I pulled off to make sure nothing was on fire under the hood, and there wasnt. When I got back in, I drove for about 5 minutes before putting the air on. When I switched it on, there was more smoke. It only lasted for another 10 or 15 seconds.

The smoke wasn't hot, and didnt smell like anything. It looked like the steam that you see when you open your freezer.

Anybody know what would cause this?

Note in very humid conditions A/C's have been known to cause the steam you would other see from a very cold fridge being opened. This condensation is the result of a rapid drop in humidity and temperature.

If you do not wish to see the steam then keep the a/c running for awhile to reduce the humidity in the car
Old 07-29-2004, 11:34 PM

Car Info: TXS tbe, perrin goodies, v7 sti struts...bla bla bla lots of stuff!
Arrow

Yeppers this happens to me almost everyday for the last 2 weeks... it's been very humid here in PA... When it happened to me I was worried then I just figured it the was moisture in the air... same deal if you breathe in really cold weather...

-Nigel
Old 07-29-2004, 11:54 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
No it's carbon monoxide...hurry...roll down the windows!!! Yeah...it's condensation...
Old 07-31-2004, 04:09 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
http://www.scoobymods.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3567

Click link
Old 08-08-2004, 09:47 PM

Car Info: www.tristatetuners.com
I figured that it wasn't anything major, but wanted to be sure. Any other car I have ever owned didnt do that.