Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

should I buy this rx7 twin turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 11:40 PM

should I buy this rx7 twin turbo?

its a red 93 twin turbo r1. I know this guy from a friend. It has 118k miles on its original motor and tranny. No rebuilts yet. I know it has a lot of mileage but it really runs strong all the way to 7k. Never had a boost controller or boost gauge. It has a tanabe catback exhasut though. H&R springs on stock shocks and a ACT clutch.
What do you guys think? It'll cost me about 10k for the car. 10 grand! thats not too bad is it? Lets say it blows up in a month or two which I doubt, isn't it still cheap? 10 grand will buy you just a shell with a broken motor anyways rite?
Need some advice, its totally up to me to decide but I'm sure a few of you were interested in the 93's b4 too and can help me decide.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:07 AM

Personally, I'd much rather have the RX-7...........if its going to be a second car only. The Mitsu is quick and has 4wd but is also extraordinarily heavy. Mazda sadly rushed those RX-7s to market before they were fully developed, and reliability was disasterous in many cases. Do a web search for the multitude of sad stories. Over 70 individual vacuum lines in that engine compartment...........
If you're prepared for that, it certainly is a fast and great handling car, and painfully good to look at too. I would have bought one a long time ago if they were reliable.
Old 06-30-2003, 09:48 AM

Car Info: 2004 Black Wrx
I would pass on that car in a second. I was looking at 93-95 rx's a year or two ago. In my research I found only one car for sale with high original milage that had not been rebuilt. That led me to believe that the motors were weak. I was wrong. The apex seals go out on the motors, essentially a head gasket equivelant on a rotary. Also, mazda was so caught up in saving weight that the cooling system is way too small for the car and causes a lot of cooling problems. You can get away with this stuff for the first 50-60 thousand miles or so is what the average seemed. But after that the little bugs start to take their toll on the car. The R-1 was the high-performance version, so imagine how much more stressed the components are in that car. And if the motor does die, and thats all thats wrong with the car, its gonna cost you close to 5 grand for the new motor + the cost of install. They are fun cars but I would definitly avoid the high milage ones. Your best bet would be to find one that has recently been rebuilt.
Old 07-01-2003, 04:19 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
Yes, always make sure it's got a fresh motor.

Try www.lamotorcars.com if you want an RX7. The guy Lance is one of the most respected dealers as dealers can get. They sell rexs with 3 year warranties. Only thing to watch out for, the guy sometimes gets salvages so check the carfax.

I know, however, several people over at rxclub.com who have like 150K on their original motor. Of course, those are the guys who owned and turbotimed it from the day it was bought, and change their oil every 1K miles.