Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Race Team: EVO vs. STi

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 06:04 AM

Car Info: 2010 370z Roadster, 2008 Frontier CrewCab
Are both cars in the same Pro-Solo class? What are the current leaders running?
Old 07-24-2003, 04:57 AM

Car Info: dream car Subaru STi
with both cars having awesome handling already, it comes down to the more important factor in a race car. and that is straight line speed, the STi would be the winner. overall STi would be my definite pick.
Old 07-24-2003, 02:51 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
dude, this is like, an imprezza forum that worships the STi although I myself think the EVO is probably a better choice just b/c of the lightning quick steering ratio.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:17 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRB Wagon (Cobb AccessPort, P7's), 2-73 914 2.0, 74 914-2.0
If the cars have to be stock (I'm not familiar with the rules and what mods are allowed), I'd go with the EVO since it has a more aggressive suspension out-of-the-box. If suspension mods are allowed, go with the STi. A couple of the reasons that the EVO outperformed the STi in cornering are because it has a more aggressive suspension and wider tires. If these mods are available, it should neutralize that advantage and the STi has more torque and hp. I doubt there are that many tracks that are so tight that your hands will get crossed up because the STi's steering isn't as fast as the EVO's.

In terms of engine potential, the STi wins hands down. The EVO's engine is pretty high strung and is pushing 19 pounds of boost.
Old 07-25-2003, 01:40 PM
VIP Member

I think the STi would benefit more from going to stiffer struts/springs than changing the steering rack. The steering rack won't change the handling of the car but impacts the responsiveness but as I stated previously, I don't think there are many tracks that are so tight that the steering would be detrimental (I'm not positive but I don't think the production Porsches, GT2, GT3, etc., have steering that is as fast as the EVO's and they don't seem to have a problem getting around the tracks fast). By stiffening the STi suspension (it is much softer than the EVO) and putting it on equal tires, I would guess the cornering power would be the same as the EVO.

In terms of engine mods, I would think there is more potential with the 2.5 than there is with the 2.0 and I don't know that running the same amount of boost with a bigger turbo would give you more hp (I'm don't know much about turbo technology but think it would also increase turbo lag). If you are going for dollar-for-dollar and minimal mods, I think the EVO is the way to go as I previously stated but if you have the money, I think the STi has more potential. What kind of numbers would the STi be putting out with 19 pounds of boost?

Of course, you have an extra $3k to play with if you buy the EVO.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:59 PM

Location: Mantana, where the men are men and so are the women
Car Info: '03 red legacy
It's a tough choice. With the evo the handling is that much better out of the box, but the engine is less powerful and runniung 19 psi.... The STi has the bang in the engine but a weaker suspension. Plus the 6-speed has gooten mixed remarks and reviews whereas the EVO's tranny has only gotten thumbs up. Being a subaru fan i'd prolly pick the STi and dump money into the suspension and wheels though.
Old 07-27-2003, 03:39 PM
VIP Member

Maybe I'm crossing up my SCCA classes. I was thinking that you are looking at big track solo driving not autocrossing. In terms of autocrossing, the quicker suspension would be easier to handle on tight courses but that could also be compensated very inexpensively by going to a smaller steering wheel. The smaller steering wheel would increase the responsiveness of the car but would increase the input (how hard it is for you to turn the wheels) but that should not be a problem considering you will be moving (have fun parallel parking). From what I've seen locally of SCCA courses, the tend to be quite open to what I was used to (I guess they don't want to alienate the muscle cars). I'm used to autocrossing an old 914 that has zippo in the power department but handles great and whenever we have our Shelby American/Porsche Club shootouts, we try to minimize the big sweepers and go for tight twisty courses. I've gone to a 14" (also have used a 13") steering wheel and it makes a huge difference and is much cheaper than changing changing the steering rack.

The factory EVO has a very stiff suspension and wider tires than the STi. If you were to be spending a total of $40k on both cars (including purchase price and money for upgrades), I'm guessing the it would be a driver's race but I also think because of how high strung the EVO engine is, reliability would be a much different issue.