Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Proof that Subaru is officially a part of GM

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 11:48 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
The 20% of FHI that GM owns is stock. They don't own any single "part" of FHI.

GM doesn't need to give Subaru any money to build a new 7 passanger crossover, Subaru has enough to develop it on their own. This concept vehicle was made in 2001 (I believe) and is fully Subaru. Subaru probably won't start sharing platforms, mainly because of the unique drivetrain layout. About the only other company that has a similar setup is Porsche (and I don't think it would be a bad thing to share production with Porsche).

http://www.subaru-global.com/topics/...001/b/0102.htm

Saab was never "well performing" in the way that Subaru is now. Saab was dying before GM infused them with money. GM "saved" Saab, although many (including myself) will say they killed it.

Subaru is not going the way of Saab anytime soon. Maybe in 10 or 20 years, but there no need to get up in arms right now. Go into google, and type in these few phrases "Chevy Forester" "Pontiac Solstice" and "Saab 9-2X Aero"

You will see that Subaru is building cars for GM, not the other way around. GM needs Subaru right now.

Now, I'm not saying your concern is totally unwaranted, its just a little extreme considering your argument is based totally on NAIAS booth placement. When a press release is made by Subaru that says "this new Subaru vehicle will share the same platform as crappy GM brand..." then we can all collectively **** our pants.
Old 12-28-2003, 09:21 PM

Car Info: PSM 2K2 WRX Wagon
There is no need to worry about AWD cavaliers in 10yrs - they are being discontinued as of next year. Subaru now owns 100% of the Lafayette, Ind. plant - they bought bought out Isuzu's intrest last year.

Last edited by EsoterikWRX; 12-28-2003 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Cool, I understand your point, I just thought you were being a little too alarmist.

I kinda figured you to be trying to stir up trouble where there really isn't any.
Old 01-05-2004, 01:43 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX in WR Blue
Whats so wrong with GM taking over? I own an 04 WRX and my dad worked for GM for 36 years. I have respect for GM because they make a good product and have been very good to my family. If they take over I would get a discount as well! besides I dont think they ever will break up such a good car as the WRX.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:00 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Subaru is not going the way of Saab anytime soon. Maybe in 10 or 20 years, but there no need to get up in arms right now. Go into google, and type in these few phrases "Chevy Forester" "Pontiac Solstice" and "Saab 9-2X Aero"

You will see that Subaru is building cars for GM, not the other way around. GM needs Subaru right now.
Not to raise any more controversy, but I do think it is VERY interesting that the "new" Saab 9-2X models and the Chevy Forester" totally distance themselves from their Subaru origins, both on the web sites and in numerous press articles. One particular article on the 9-2X wagon has quotes from a Saab spokesmen claiming that they are leading the entry into the market for a small, high-performance wagon -- never mind that the WRX wagon has been out since early 2002. I did a Google search as suggested and clicked through about ten articles about each car; not ONE mentioned that the cars were WRXs with body kits.

GM may be a Subaru investor, but they are also ashamed to admit it.

Edit: Here's the quote from the AutoWeb article, about the Aero:

Peter Augustsson, Saab Automobile's President and CEO, puts the launch of the Saab 9-2X in broader perspective: "The Saab 9-2X is a milestone in expanding our model range and our customer base, especially in the very important North American market. We see a rapidly emerging segment in the United States for a premium, small car below the Saab 9-3 Sport Sedan. And being one of the first entries, we intend to shape that segment."

Last edited by meilers; 01-05-2004 at 02:03 PM.
Old 01-05-2004, 02:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: GF8 ver6
Saab uses Impreza wagon for 9-2,
and Subaru uses GM/Opel Zafira for Subaru Traviq minvan..
next generation Subaru Pleo will be partially shared with Suzuki.
and Subaru Justy in Europe is a Suzuki..
If it benefits both party, they should cooperate.
Old 01-07-2004, 07:42 AM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
Dont think of it as a bad thing for current owners. GM bought out Hummer in 2001. We own a 1998 Hummer, bought it new. Since GM has bought the company service has been quicker and parts more readily available. Also they opened a bunch of new dealers so that it is easy to get maintenece (no hour + drives). I would expect a few more dealers from the merge. And maybee Subaru will influence some more power out of American cars.:banana: :banana:

Nick