Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

paint quality and sheet metal thickness

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 09:52 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru WRX
My WRX is my daily driver...as of now, I got 6,000+ miles. I have about the same amount of rock chips...6,000! LOL...j/k I do have quite a few tho. I just didn't realize that it was becuz of the sucky paint.

I also got into a minor fender bender like 3 weeks ago and the bumper kinda cracked. Maybe if it was another better material it wouldn't have?
Old 11-15-2003, 11:51 PM

Car Info: .............................................................................
My '92 SE-R sheetmetal was a joke, a bad joke. All you had to do to it was sneeze on it and it dented. I had a new door ding daily. The WRX sheetmetal is thicker/better quality than that Nissan's was, that's for sure.
The Nissan paint was better though, much better.
Old 11-16-2003, 12:13 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
i got the protective paint coating from the dealership, kept my car nice for maybe a month. now it looks like someone flicked white paint my baby. so sad to see

guess it couldn't be helped considering i commute with that car and things are bound to fly up
Old 11-16-2003, 12:34 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black WRX wagon
i'll show you thin sheet metal! my 04 got hit yesterday while i was watching a movie. damn hit and run *bleeeeeeepers*. i'll go take a pic later. my car has sutained soo much damage. i agree. our cars have the worst bodywork. my door is screwed. my trunk has a scratch, and the right corner is screwed. i'm sending it into the shop later for an 800 repair. haha. brb. going to take some pics.
Old 11-16-2003, 05:03 PM

Car Info: civic
there's been many threads about how crappy the wrx paint is and such. it's not any new news to talk about. the paint sucks, there are chips everywhere.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:07 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX Wagon
We really shouldn't complain too much about our crappy Subaru paint.

Japanese cars tend to have weak paint and thin sheetmetal. Hondas, Nissan, and Toyota all have paint and ding issues.
Old 11-17-2003, 11:15 PM

Car Info: 2003 Silver WRX Sedan, 1982 Corvette Collectors Ed.
I have a silver 03 WRX.

It has about 25,000 miles on it and most of them are freeway at above 80. The paint is stil in good condition and the stone chips are not that noticeable (this is most likely due to the silver). I did get hit on the roof with something on the I-880 and it scratched a good gouge in it.

I wash weekly with a soft brush and wax about every 4-6 months with an instant detailer inbetween middle.

Also, I was rear ended a few weeks ago and it didnt do too much paint damage. The trunk lid was tweaked and its just dented and the bumper was smushed in.....some cracking where the creases are but not toooo bad. I am getting new ones so I am not too worried about that.

So unlike most of the people in here I dont have too many complaints about the paint.

I have seen many dark colors though that look like cxrap in the front with all the lil chips.

Does anyone know what brand of paint is used on these? My moms car was a test car for DuPont in silver (Brother works for a high volume dealership and they use some cars there every year for testing new paint and have the owner check in every six months so the DuPont rep can check the paint - Not bad seeing as it's free if you allow them to see the car 2 times a year). It is the identical color and flake, and I am wondering if it was the same paint. She had hers painted 3 or so years ago and it looks great to this day.

--Robb
Old 11-19-2003, 07:39 PM

Car Info: 04 Blue TS
Originally posted by namakemono
i got the protective paint coating from the dealership, kept my car nice for maybe a month. now it looks like someone flicked white paint my baby. so sad to see

guess it couldn't be helped considering i commute with that car and things are bound to fly up
Protective paint coating is nothing more than good wax! trust me it was one of my jobs in college.
Old 11-19-2003, 09:22 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX / 08 Forester
20k miles and no dings and very few rock chips. My Black '03 looks awesome. I agree that the paint is thin though. ....but then again, so are many other cars. As an example, my '93 Silverado had massive chips on the leading edge of the hood and the paint faded rapidly. It wasn't until after my warranty was up that I found out GM was re-painting vehicles that had my problem.

- Kean
Old 11-20-2003, 07:51 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX Sedan MBP/17X7.5 SSR Comps/225 Kumho MX
I have the Midnight Black, which I like a lot. But I do with the clear coat had been a thicker.

Face it. The WRX was designed to be fast and still qualify for the fuel efficiency rating at 26 MPG. If you want a car to be fast it has to be as powerful and light as possible. Light metalwork is part of the formula.

That's why a goose can't fly like a hummingbird.

Quick Reply: paint quality and sheet metal thickness