Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Overall quality of the WRX.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 01:02 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
The build quality is good all round, but if you're looking for a plush ride and a super refined interior you're looking the in wrong spot. The WRX is based on a rally car, which means that its not designed to put form over function. Although the seats are very supportive, well bolstered, and comfortable (designed to be supportive when driving hard), they aren't plush (which would be bad for driving hard), the suspension gives a generally nice ride on good roads and gives the car excellent cornering ability, but it's not soft and you'll feel big bumps in the road pretty hard. (soft suspension and performance car dont go together). The interior is well done and astehticly pleasing, but if you're expecting BMW or Audi refinement you're looking in the wrong place. this is a drivers car, and if you're more concerned with overall comfort than performance, you're in the wrong place.

Cabin noise is better than alot of cars out there, but it's not quiet. Sound dampning adds weight and the people the cars targeted at prefer a lower curb weight to low cabin noise. Personally me and most every WRX owner out there loves the sound of their motor, turbo noises are just too cool. Of course if you dont like to hear the engine, then once again you're looking at the wrong car.

The only way to know if it's for you is to take one for a test drive. If you're anything like me the second you hear the turbo start to spool, hit boost, and get thrown back into the supportive seats you'll be hooked.

Hell, maybe even if you do prefer luxery over performance this car will change you're mind. I took my dads friend, who has always been into plush luxery sedans etc, for a ride in it and at first he was pointing out how firm the seats were, how hard the suspension felt, how the motor sounded too loud, how the interior didnt look as well done as most german cars. Once I took him out to the local twisties and started running it through the gears and holding it above 4500rpm, he was wearing a smile a whole time. When we got back he said, "now I get it".

Last edited by Br1t1shguy; 01-11-2003 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-11-2003, 03:55 PM

Car Info: '04 Deep Blue .:R32
I'm interested as well.

As long as the build quality is good and trim doesn't fall apart, I would be happy.

Any major problems to note for Subarus in general. A friend of mine said someone he knew had a Subie that was in the shop all the time.

I don't want to believe that the upcoming WRX STi will be problematic, especially with an uprated/strengthened engine and tranny -- just better everything all around.

Any other opinions?
Old 01-11-2003, 05:35 PM

Good post Br1t1shguy.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:12 PM

I agree with taking a test drive idea,, the english language doesnt accuratly sum the experience it up very well.

But to me, it is a quiet car. Why? because I drove a Mazda B2200 pickup for years..........so its a quiet ride to me.

Last year I was perusing a consumer report magazine. It outlined the Subaru quality. It showed a overall increase in quality in cars from 1983 on up. The Subaru is right up there with the top auto makers in quality. though this is my first Subaru,,,,,,My friend who is a mechanic from way back (who helped me do some exhaust mods) Made some remarks about how well the front part of the frame and suspension was(superior) constructed as compared to all other japanese cars.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:12 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
I'm interested as well.

As long as the build quality is good and trim doesn't fall apart, I would be happy.

Any major problems to note for Subarus in general. A friend of mine said someone he knew had a Subie that was in the shop all the time.

I don't want to believe that the upcoming WRX STi will be problematic, especially with an uprated/strengthened engine and tranny -- just better everything all around.

Any other opinions?
Yeah, dont worry, the trim wont be fallin apart on you. It's a very nice interior (the side vents are sweet!), but dont expect polished teak and a seamless panels ;-p. Subarus are extremely reliable, the only achilles heel (for now) is the transmission, but if you dont plan on doing clutch drops or abusing it really hard (like crazy hard powershifiting) you should be just fine. The STI though is just an insanely cool car, it's fast as hell and will take anything you throw at it, but doesnt even come with a radio stock (sound system is optional). Anyway, take a test drive and I assure you, you'll walk away with a big smile on you're face.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:19 PM

Well,
Suspension "feel" in regards to levels of firmness is of course subjective unless you have some exact numbers of spring rates ect ect ect... I dont have that info sorry.

I can only speak from experience. The stock suspension is decent and is more in the range of performance than family or luxo. I added the SPT strut and spring combo with the STi top mounts after about 3 thousand miles(that setup is the same as what you were looking at minus control arms and add STi topmounts). A very nice setup.

A stiffer sway bar IMO is a must though and its not much $$$ for the improvement.