Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

New Subaru...ANY IDEAS wat to put in it ..first?? NEED help! Anyone....

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 05:36 PM

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2004
Question New Subaru...ANY IDEAS wat to put in it ..first?? NEED help! Anyone....

Hey, i just got a Subaru not to long ago...WRX 2004 Turbo.....pretty new at this Subaru thing....but i love it!....i really want to do something to it....been lookin around websites for parts and such....but i really have no idea where to start!!...any ideas on wat to do first??......ill take any suggestions!!...Thanks!!

Last edited by Monyg85; 07-26-2006 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Capatilizing letters on title
Old 07-26-2006, 05:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
I'll welcome you. Welcome!!! Do your build in stages. I like, Wheels/Tires, Suspension, Brakes, Exhaust, engine, Managment, in that order. For a good first mod easy to do., Kartboy short shifter, and bushings.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:09 PM

Thanks man!....so ok Short Shifter first. and bushings...thats no problem. Wats some of the things that as first things can be done to the engine at first...to boost up horspower/speed/acceleration???.....appreciate thte help man
Old 07-26-2006, 06:23 PM
VIP Member

Ok here's why I say in that order. First you just got the car. I'm certain you are loving it. I'm also certain you want to keep it for a while. Am I right?

Wheels/Tires: RE92's suck *****. A lot of the HP that is available is not useable while cornering because you have no grip. Wheels make your car look nice.

Suspension: Now that you have some grip, do some suspension mods to increase cornering and handling. The idea to this point is to learn to drive your AWD car. It is different that anything you have ever driven. It can be your best and worst friend at the same time.<<< Remember that.

Brakes: Now that you have learned to drive your beast with all of that grip, and you are going faster and making better decisions while you drive, you will realize you need more stopping power. In addition as all enthusiasts, you will want more power. More power higher speed, must have better brakes.

Exhaust: No particular reason in this position except, if you have learned to drive your car and haven't crashed it yet. You should put on an exhaust. It will give you a few more ponies, it sounds better, you'll be happier in general. Besides no sense in wasting money on an exhaust, installing it and crashing your car.

Engine/Managment: At this point you should be good to go for major modification. All of the pieces are in place. Power mods must be coupled with management or your engine goes bye bye.

See there is a method to my maddness.

Last edited by ipozestu; 07-26-2006 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 06:40 PM

...Hmmm yea man...i like that....What kind of tires?.....yea thats prob the first thing that im gonna do...never thought of all that. but i lovee the Subaru....Def. thats why im looking to put performance parts in it.....just had some trouble deciding where to start......but by the time im done man....Wont be able to handle the Madness! What u got in urs?
Old 07-26-2006, 07:44 PM
VIP Member

Not Much
https://www.i-club.com/forums/bay-area-15/question-about-car-show-140644/
As for the open ended questions like, Which one, What Brand, ect. It's a matter of preference. Evaluate your goals for the car, keep them realistic, choose parts that will help you acheive your goal. It's simple actually. Understand you are not the first to go down this road. Pretty much everything has been tried. If you decide to be an original, your asking for trouble. Use what works. Lastly do as much research as you can. Your questions will be better, more people will be willing to help you out and you won't labled with the "noob" status.

Last edited by ipozestu; 07-26-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 09:22 PM

Oh alright man. hey i appreciate the help. Def will be doin research on all this. thanks
Old 07-27-2006, 08:46 PM

Car Info: 05 WRX 4EAT (VF34'd and FMIC'd)----sold :(
I'd get a boost gauge. Something that's easily visible to you. NOT like a 10inch rpm tach.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:00 PM

hm...yea i was thinking about tthat actually....just something nice to start off with. You have one?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:07 PM

Thumbs up

Yeah, the OEM column mount. It's good and not at bad price too.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:14 PM

oh cool...yea im gonna have to look into that. gotta check out the prices....What else you got in ur Subaru?
Old 07-27-2006, 09:17 PM

Not a whole lot, I wanna try and keep my warranty for a bit longer so just simple bolt-ons.
Old 07-27-2006, 09:23 PM

Oh i see. Mine is pretty much all stock right now. But im looking to change that as quick as i can lol. Just tryin to get ideas on what to get first. Been looking at a Short Shifter...maybe.
Old 07-28-2006, 04:53 PM

Car Info: WRX STi
First suspension mod is a new, stiffer, rear sway bar. It will cost you about $150, but it completely sharpens up the handling. Best first mod.

With a change of engine management (cobb accessport is great) and the removal of the 3 cats, your power will be raised from 165 at the wheels to around 200 at the wheels... The Accessport will cost you $600, a catless downpipe will cost you around $200 and a stock up-pipe that has the cat removed will cost you $80 from a guy who sells them on eBay. That's $900 to put down 200 wheel horsepower.
If you can't fit all this stuff yourself, then a garage will do it for around $150-$200.

Tyres...as previously discussed, the stock RE-92's are a pile of shat. You can get a cheap set of Kuhmo's for quite cheap. The MX's are a relatively sticky summer compound, but you may need to get the Ecsta ASX if you get a lot of rain or bad weather.

Don't waste money on stuff that is not needed like Blow-off valves (BOV), intakes (CAI) or loud mufflers. Until your making big power the stock muffler will be fine.

The above mods are a budget minded approach to getting your car to perform and handle better...Some people love loud exhausts and shiney 18" rims, but in reality they will do nothing for overall performance, but whatever floats your boat, theres no harm in a bit of bling, it's just not for me.

I hope this helps.
Old 07-29-2006, 03:14 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX
Welcome to i-Club.
If your car is stock I would start with wheels,good tires,and
some suspension work.

Quick Reply: New Subaru...ANY IDEAS wat to put in it ..first?? NEED help! Anyone....