Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

New Subaru ads geared toward homosexuals and lesbians

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2005, 09:30 AM

It's not the first time

As stated earlier, Subaru has targeted alternative groups in the past.
They once ran bus stop ads in New York and San Francisco that said "We can't help it, we're just built this way" in reference to all Subaru's having AWD.

Companies are starting to realize there is a huge (largely untapped) market out there and are starting to go after it. We're basically talking about same-sex DINKs (dual income no kids). This group typically has more money to spend on things like cars, homes,etc. because they'e not spending it on their fat kids.

Volkswagon has done it in the past too, just more subvertly.

Ford is next, they're going to go after the gay steel workers of America. (for all you Simpson's fans)
Old 09-02-2005, 09:57 AM

Car Info: 02 wrx wagon
Big ****ing Deal!
Old 09-02-2005, 02:36 PM

Car Info: '99 2.5rs - Rally Blue
Originally Posted by yakker
DINKs (dual income no kids).
i always hated that. you dont have double income, you have half the expenses
Old 09-02-2005, 10:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Originally Posted by antdiesel3
The first video alludes to the targeting of homosexuality at the very end. It's almost as if you are not sure of what you just saw. The next two IMO were absolutely appalling and offensive. They depict the Forester and Tribeca as practical choices for homosexual couples. I am not prejudice in the least but had I known that I would be watching videos targeting same sex unions I would have gracefully declined.

I wonder what SOA is thinking?
My emphasis added. Hmm, I think you're protesting too much here... what you said (and why you are saying it) don't quite add up!
Old 09-02-2005, 10:44 PM

Car Info: 2004 Prodrive Suabru Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by meilers
My emphasis added. Hmm, I think you're protesting too much here... what you said (and why you are saying it) don't quite add up!
Dude the bottom line is this. If Subaru wants to make ads geared toward homosexuals and lesbians that is fine. I personally would rather not see them. Had I known the survey was going to include them I would have declined.

Would you sit there and watch a movie or commercial that portrayed two men kissing? I think not, there is really not much difference here. Personally I have no ploblem if people want to live this lifestyle. I do have a problem with it being thrust upon me (no pun intended) without warning by a car manufacturer.

What's next, all 06 Subarus come equipped with a pink triangle or rainbow flag as a no cost option from the factory?
Old 09-02-2005, 11:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
What's next, all 06 Subarus come equipped with a pink triangle or rainbow flag as a no cost option from the factory?
Don't be like that. Grow up, man.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:02 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Yes, these commercials certainly are a slipperly slope that will end up with Subaru's coming standard with butt plugs

Chances are, you won't see these ads. They are targeted at the homosexual community, which means you wont see then unless you are watching a homosexual-friendly program (the magic of targeted marketing). You have no need to fret, you won't ever have to see these again.

And, hopefully you let Subaru know that you didn't like the ads. It can only help them.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:18 PM

Car Info: 2000 impreza 2.5 rs
'The next two IMO were absolutely appalling and offensive. They depict the Forester and Tribeca as practical choices for homosexual couples. I am not prejudice...'
No , you are prejudice. If you are appalled and offended by a group that makes you prejudice.
the only other thing i have to say about this is
so?
what if they are?
does that make the product any less (in this case with the trabecca) ****ty? nope they are just exploring a nother markiting nitch.
the only type of person that is appaled by this is the same type of person that sez 'them getting married cheapens my relationship with my wife' and yet the britnies of the world can get married on a whim by a drive thru church and that dosent phayse them.
IMO=BS
Old 09-03-2005, 03:17 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
This thread is closed. It has run its course. antdiesel3 can PM me if you would like it re-opened, however once it is opened, it stays open and you assume responsibility for any replies to your thread.

Do not PM me about the proposed Subaru ads or any views expressed in your thread, including yours. I don't care what marketing techniques Subaru of America uses as long as the cars are interesting.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush