Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Need some help, electrical experts please look (updated: problem solved)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 07:00 AM

Car Info: Silver 2002 WRX
Need some help, electrical experts please look (updated: problem solved)

Car: 2002 WRX.

Issue: Parking lights staying on....only way to get to go off is to pull fuse from fuse box under hood.

Background: This all started when I was trying to trouble shoot some lighting issues that I was having with a motorcycle trailer, that I tow behind the WRX. All of the lights were working, with the exception of the left rear trailer brake light. In the effort of trying to trouble shoot that, which turned out to be a messed up harness in combo with a potential bad ground for that particular light, I somehow must have backfed the system, and blew something. All I know is, at one point, I realized my parking lights on the car were all on, and then upon looking at the trailer and seeing the keys sitting there, realized, " that shouldn't be happening".

I immediately pulled the trailer harness converter out from the trunk of the car, and undid all of the connections that I had done for its installation. I was hoping that somehow, one of the wires touched another that it should not have, and that was causing the lights to stay on. Once I got everything back to the way it was before the trailer harness install, the issue was still there.

This is the bulk of what I know at this point:

1. All parking lights stay on unless I pull the parking light circuit fuse.

2. As far as I can tell, there are many relays in the fuse box, but non labeled for the parking lights.( I was checking relays, because one of my buddies said it sounds like the backfeeding of power made one of the relays stick on). Being that these relays do not have the typical diagrams on the side, I can;t figure out a good way to test them with a multimeter??

3. Trying to pull and replace every other fuse in the fuse block did not help the situation at all.

This is all I got, and I am trying to avoid an expensive trip to the dealer to fix this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

At this point, I am leaving the fuse out, parking lights off, and only driving during the day. At night, I would be a danger on the road, since the only light from the back would be when I am hitting the brakes of have a blinker on.

Thanks again for any help. DZ

Last edited by DougZ; 09-13-2007 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:30 AM

Car Info: Jaguar XJR, VW Corrado, 911 Carrera
I know this might seem simple but I have to ask. Did you check the parking light switch that is mounted on top of the steering column by the gauge cluster? I know I have accidentally tripped it before without knowing it.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by 1sicwrx
I know this might seem simple but I have to ask. Did you check the parking light switch that is mounted on top of the steering column by the gauge cluster? I know I have accidentally tripped it before without knowing it.
He man, at this point, no question to help is a simple one. I know which switch you speak of, and as far as I know, that is for blinkers...not the parking lights....its to be used for the hazards. I'll check it though. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:38 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
umm

the switch on top of the steering column is for your parking lights.

Subarus will not keep the headlights on with the key turned off. Subaru put a switch on the steering column when you needed to park your car and keep them on.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:43 AM

OK, I GET THE DUMMY OF THE YEAR AWARD......just went out to car now to check...and guess what.....parking light switch was on.........I had no idea it was even there....I thought the other poster was talking about the one for the hazards, which is above the radio.

I sincerely thank you guys for pointing that out to me. I would have felt like such a dumbass had I taken the car to the dealer and had them tell me.

I guess its better to be a dumbass on the internet, than in person.

Once again, this site comes through for me. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2007, 10:47 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
Originally Posted by DougZ
OK, I GET THE DUMMY OF THE YEAR AWARD......just went out to car now to check...and guess what.....parking light switch was on.........I had no idea it was even there....I thought the other poster was talking about the one for the hazards, which is above the radio.

I sincerely thank you guys for pointing that out to me. I would have felt like such a dumbass had I taken the car to the dealer and had them tell me.

I guess its better to be a dumbass on the internet, than in person.

Once again, this site comes through for me. Thanks.
np