Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

need some advice. pick up a long term project?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 09:37 PM

Car Info: 05 WRXie
need some advice. pick up a long term project?

Ok so, my good friend has given up on his 05 WRX project car and offered to sell it to me. So he can focus on his new family.

I was curious how much it will like likely cost me, if it would be worth the headache, alternative build, and/or general thoughts?

So the car was a long term project of his and he put a boat load of $$$$ into rebuilding a bored 2.5L high displacement motor (300+ on 4psi), with everything aftermarket on the motor. I mean everything. The rest of the car was fairly untouched as he wanted a sleeper.

So the fun part: The transmission blew while he was messing around just after breaking it in and parked it, roughly 3 years ago.
He planned on keeping it as a project and never really got around to fixing or even closet to finishing it. The car would need a few more bits, i.e. better matched turbo, fuel upgrades, radiator sorted, and some other bits he forgot. Also while it sat, rats got to it and chewed a wiring harness.
He wasn't sure the full extent of repairs/damage or what exactly it would need to be road ready as he moved out of state.

I'm kind of on the fence about the car. I really want an epic ride to mob around. But, I could never smog it and don't really want to spend more than 8-10K fixing it (with my expenses/my budget). And I really don't want a car I could only use at race events, cars are meant to be driven.

So thoughts?... was that clear?
Old 08-05-2013, 09:40 PM

Car Info: 05 WRXie
throw a 6sp in it/ fix the harness and be done, till something else breaks?
Or a full sti drivetrain-motor swap?