Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

The myth of Granny Driving(tm)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 02:29 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally Posted by meilers
I talked to the salesman at the dealership about it just before I bought the car, and he noted that he was glad the car didn't have an exact temp display, because people would constantly be bringing the car back to the dealership to get it checked because of normal variances in the operating temp; he clearly saw it as a plus. :P
And that is exactly why most car manufacturers put the dummy guages in their cars. It is an unfortunate reality.

I was going to put guages in my car which read accurate coolant temp, oil temp and boost when I got it, but my lady got all pissy about it. I still have the car, but haven't heard from the lady for many months now...hmm....
Old 08-31-2004, 02:42 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Yeah, most gauges on the car are like that, even the spedo and tach. Its not as controlled as the other gauges (obviously), but they are servo controlled so you see smooth rise and fall of speed/rpm rather then jerkiness and stuttering which is actually normal.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:46 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX wagon, COBB clubspec, ACT street clutch and flywheel
If you're talkin about a meter-type gauge stuttering isn't normal, They are better IMO because of the response time and smoothness. They still use those old meters on new aircraft. I work on aircraft sim instruments and they are mostly servo which is easily programmed but cost more to make. On a servo, the motors that run the gears that rotate the pointer can't turn as fast, but of course you can program in some delay. Also they can start to run jerky if stuff gets in the geartrain.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Originally Posted by Eleazar
If you're talkin about a meter-type gauge stuttering isn't normal, They are better IMO because of the response time and smoothness. They still use those old meters on new aircraft. I work on aircraft sim instruments and they are mostly servo which is easily programmed but cost more to make. On a servo, the motors that run the gears that rotate the pointer can't turn as fast, but of course you can program in some delay. Also they can start to run jerky if stuff gets in the geartrain.
Got it. My experience was that I was in a car with non-servo controlled gauges, and the needle wasn't really stuttering much, but it seemed like slight variations in road elevation would cause the spedo needle to change more then it would in my car. The owner said it was perfectly normal for his gauges.
Old 09-06-2004, 06:43 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Wagon
I get a bigger drop from running my A/C than from running the **** outta my car....go figure...
Old 09-06-2004, 08:27 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
BryanH, this is my experience exactly! After I made my initial post, I spent another week keeping a close eye on my car's fuel use, and I still only got 20.3 gallons per tank; yet in January, where I can spend the entire month without A/C (the only month I love living in Arizona) I have a reciept from the gas pump which clearly shows 23 mpg, and that was driving like a normal WRX owner (i.e. punishing the occasional ricer or SUV on the highway entrance ramp, enjoying the occasional boost around town).
Old 09-06-2004, 11:48 AM

I average 19 mpg, and this is with hard drives up mountain roads. This is when I keep in 4th gear. When I use 3rd gear and keep it near 6500rpm, I get maybe 15-16mpg, which is what I expect.

I've gotten my best mileage on the highway, crusing at approx 80mph. I got something like 25mpg.

FYI, meilers, what road did you use? I'm looking for another drive. Was it the Apache Trail?