Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

My WRX may have been towed

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:31 PM

Car Info: Nothing
My WRX may have been towed

Yesterday there was a snow emergency in the City of Evanston ,IL (which means you have to park on a certain side of the street from 9am-9pm depending on the even/odd system). I went out to dinner and got back somewhere between 6-7 and parked on the incorrect side of the street for several reasons, one of which was that side of the street had already been plowed and people were parking in it again. This lead me to believe they had already been through and moved people if necessary to get at the snow. I also didn't want to come back out a couple hours later and move my car to the other side of the street. So I parked there on the wrong side (I admit it).

This morning I had a $100 ticket on my car claiming it was "Towed and Returned." There are several things not adding up here. When they move cars to plow, they run a siren to let people know to come move their car and I would have heard it. Also, why would they tow my car to plow an area that had already been plowed?

My main concern and my question to all of you is, how did they tow my car when it was in 1st gear and the parking break was on? I have a call into the police dept to find out how they towed it. I have heard you can damage an AWD car by towing it incorrectly. Is it even possible? Would they have to just slide it on the cold/snowy pavement (there was still some ice even though it had already been plowed).

I have a date to contest this ticket next month as the ticket was also filled out incorrectly in several spots, but was wondering if anyone could chime in and let me know if this towing was even possible. If they did tow it, what are some things I should be watching out for to see if it was towed incorrectly.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-22-2008, 05:29 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
yes it can be damaged

the tow guys if they are pros pop the lock and release the hand brake and take it out of gear

if they used a flat bed you are fine

if they used the claw that locks two wheels in, you may get to join my club of broken center diff. i got towed and they used the claws and broke my tranny 5k later the city paid.

call and ask how they towed it

they told me it was not a flat bed aka claw s
Old 12-22-2008, 05:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '13 BRZ Limited / '02 WRX
Nice of them to return it

Good luck with the outcome. Some drivers can be stupid, but I had a driver consult his book prior to towing my Stealth to make sure it wasn't the AWD version. I imagine if it was freezing out the driver wouldn't have taken the time to check the book
Old 12-22-2008, 06:29 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Center diff = ~$600 + labor.
Symptom:

Clicking noise...like a bad DOJ/CV joint.. after the car has been driven a while.
Old 12-22-2008, 07:55 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by Paul@dbtuned
Center diff = ~$600 + labor.
Symptom:

Clicking noise...like a bad DOJ/CV joint.. after the car has been driven a while.
EXACTLY sounded like that

labor = cheaper to get a new tranny

oh and my main shaft has a crack in it
Old 02-12-2009, 02:30 AM
banned

Car Info: 2004 STi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0CCoAS6Mn0
Old 02-12-2009, 03:48 AM
It's QQ thankyouverymuch

Car Info: 2011 SWP WRX Hatch
They might have left it in gear and with the e-brake on, Check back to the place where you parked. There might be signs that tires were dragged... also check your tires and see if there might be uneven wear.

Otherwise they might have taken it out of gear and undone the e-brake.

I only mention this because I have seen (on the side of the highway) two solid black lines on the ground for a few miles and then they turned into two pairs of grooves. Which means that there are tow truck drivers that will tow a car even if it is all locked up.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:23 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Note the original post was made two months ago.