Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

MY parents making me get an auto WRX

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2002, 09:39 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
theres no need for your sarcasm
Old 12-29-2002, 09:41 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
Originally posted by the sucker king
awns729 checks in with more brilliance!
yes thanx i know im brilliant....at least brilliantererededeses then youei!!!!
Old 01-03-2003, 09:49 AM

hey, it's a free car. i'd take what they're offering.

my first car was an '81 subaru gl. i paid 400 dollars for it, and mommy and daddy didn't help out at all. it was stick, though.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:53 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
Well guys as a parent myself. I'd say he takes what they say he gets. When Junior pays for a car himself or helps pay for the car, THEN and only then can he be picky. That is the Law.

Dave
Old 01-12-2003, 10:27 PM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sportwagon, MBP
well, let me throw in my .02 -

I've got an 02WRX wagon, with an auto. It's still incredibly fast. If you hold the car in gear, you can EASILY go 0-60 in under 7 seconds. The gear ratios could be a little better for passing, but honestly, there's plenty of power at 70mph, and plenty more at 50.

I was in a similar situation as our potential future WRX owner, although I paid for the bulk of the cost of my car. But when my folks said they'd rather I get the auto, so they could drive it, and my mother, who works at a bank, offered to get me a great loan rate for the $9k i didn't have and pay the extra $1000, I figured it was a small price to pay for the WRX.

I have no regrets. I would have hated to have wasted all my cash on a honda civic or, god help me, a ford focus, and a regular impreza just didn't speak to me the way the WRX did.

The other thing - this kid is probably really young, and honestly, having this kind of power, without the respect and caution it warrants, is really dangerous. I have a cousin who works as an EMT, and he told me two weeks ago about a 17yr old kid who totalled his brand new WRX by taking it through the back roads of upstate NY at 90mph. He walked away with a broken leg, but two of his friends were more severely injured, and one of them had to have part of his spleen removed. No matter how safe the car is, there's still danger involved, and a fast fun car like the WRX can be especially dangerous, if it isn't respected.

That being said, the manual is probably more fun, definiately more fuel efficient, and will keep some of your friends from being able to drive your car. (this is, IMHO, a good thing) But if you're just another suburban mallrat who wants to impress the chicks, go buy a civic and rice it out. That won't get you killed.
Old 01-13-2003, 03:58 PM

Car Info: ayo for yayo
ok, well i think i have a lot of experience in this area. im 17, i own a wrx 4eat and my parents turned down the stick.

first off, no offense, but shut up. the wrx is an amazing car, and the 4eat is just as amazing. big deal, you'll run .5-.7 a sec slower than the stick in the 1/4 mile. i suggest reading up on what has been done with the automatic wrx. there are some wrx's on this board that run high 13s off simple boltons. also, if you are that into performance then you should know that more power can be run through the 4eat than the current 5spd,at around 300hp the stick needs upgrading.. the worlds fastest wrx is also a 4eat. the 4eat handles exactly the same as the 5spd, with the exception of the vtd in the auto, which provides a lot more grip.

basically, this is still a fast, excellent handling car. if the parents are deciding on resale value alone, then try and convince them. but if this is your first car or if your parents are just buying it for you, then personally, i really do not know what you are complaining about. have you drove an automatic wrx before?

good luck

aaron

Last edited by IgotWRXed; 01-13-2003 at 04:03 PM.
Old 01-13-2003, 04:20 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
Originally posted by IgotWRXed
ok, well i think i have a lot of experience in this area. im 17, i own a wrx 4eat and my parents turned down the stick.

first off, no offense, but shut up. the wrx is an amazing car, and the 4eat is just as amazing. big deal, you'll run .5-.7 a sec slower than the stick in the 1/4 mile. i suggest reading up on what has been done with the automatic wrx. there are some wrx's on this board that run high 13s off simple boltons. also, if you are that into performance then you should know that more power can be run through the 4eat than the current 5spd,at around 300hp the stick needs upgrading.. the worlds fastest wrx is also a 4eat. the 4eat handles exactly the same as the 5spd, with the exception of the vtd in the auto, which provides a lot more grip.

basically, this is still a fast, excellent handling car. if the parents are deciding on resale value alone, then try and convince them. but if this is your first car or if your parents are just buying it for you, then personally, i really do not know what you are complaining about. have you drove an automatic wrx before?

good luck

aaron

"Blah blah blah, automatics are cool too, dont diss on automatics, I wish I had a manual". Dude, you completely missed the whole point, he wants a stick, his parents want him to get an auto because of resale. Sticks are more fun to drive, yes autos are fun, sticks are more so, so he wants one. Why are you arguing about how good autos are when it has nothing to do with the topic of this post? Hmm, twinge of regret their buddy?

Quick Reply: MY parents making me get an auto WRX