Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Just passed OH Emissions Check!

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2004, 07:41 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX sedan (black)
Just passed OH Emissions Check!

Ok fellas, I just got back from getting my 2002 WRX Sedan E-Checked here in the state of Ohio. We have the ODB-II diagnostic scan procedures in place, so a sniffer test is not needed any longer.

My exhaust mods:
1. ScoobySport catless Uppipe
2. ScoobySport catless Downpipe
3. Stock Midpipe cat was in place.
4. ScoobySport single tip muffler.

My testing prep procedures:
1. Go out to my car and turn ignition to ON position.
2. Use AccessPORT to "Read CEL Codes". There were no trouble codes found.
3. Then I used the AccessPORT to "Reset ECU". It displayed that the CELs were cleared.
4. Use the AccessPORT to flash the "Realtime Map" of Stage2/93 Oct onto the ECU.
5. Started the car and drove 15 minutes to my E-check location. I didn't drive all out speed because it was quite residential and many stoplights, but I got on it whenever I could.
6. Arrived at the E-Check location and sat for about 10-15 minutes with my car idling.

Ohio E-Check Testing Procedures (as of 7/31/2004):
1. Your car is scanned via a bar code scanner on the driver's door to pull your VIN and thus all the info about your specific vehicle.
2. Next, your vehicle is pulled forward and an ODB-II scan is run on the port directly beneath your steering wheel.
3. My car synced with the ODB-II scanning tool, but provided a "Not Ready" signal. (You can research this on your own, but basically something in the AccessPORT mapping didn't work as Trey from Cobb had promised!)
4. The techs re-tried the ODB-II scan after a manager had to come over and authorize the 2nd test. It failed again with a "Not Ready" signal again.
(Can you sense I was scared at this point??)
5. They then resulted in running the "sniffer" test. Of course, I'm AWD, and they don't have a 4-wheel dyno, so they just do an idling sniffer test.
6. Well folks, I still passed even with only the stock midpipe catalytic converter. Hopefully this is helpful to all of you with the same (or similar) setup to me!

I'll scan the difference between my STOCK E-check and my recent MIDPIPE ONLY E-check for all to analyze and enjoy!

Have a great weekend, I will!
Old 07-31-2004, 08:16 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Thanks for posting. It was very informative about the actual procedure and the results. It'll also be interesting to compare how different states test our cars in the real world (i.e. 'Not Ready' signal with your particular AccessPort).

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-31-2004, 08:32 AM

Car Info: 1990 thing
Just wondering why you didn't reflash the ecu to factory. . . wouldn't that eliminate any problems? I'm a newb, but I was reading up on the accessport and I got the impression that you could revert to factory settings no problem for things like that.
Old 07-31-2004, 08:44 AM

jdepould,

If I were to reflash to "factory stock ECU" setting with my AccessPORT, I would have had (2) different CEL's being thrown by not having my uppipe cat or downpipe cat in place. If you have ANY CEL's upon arriving at the testing center, you automatically fail.

Reflashing with the Stage2/93 Oct mapping allows you to get to the testing center with NO CEL's on, but obviously there is a "not ready" state when you arrive. As long as you are still allowed to take the "sniffer" test, you should pass with the midpipe cat!
Old 07-31-2004, 09:23 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
If you are going for an OBDII emission test, you should NOT do a reset or "clear codes" function immediately prior (also don't do a reset by disconnecting the battery). Clearing codes or doing a full reset will set the OBDII readiness tests to a "Not Ready" state which will cause you to fail the test. It normally takes several days of driving to allow the tests to complete their full cycle.
Also, if you have an electrical fix for the catless downpipe/P0420 code, be aware that some of these will prevent the readiness tests from ever completing.
I don't know how the Accessport affects the readiness test status, but regardless of whether you have an AP or not it's a good idea to get a hold of a scanner before going to the test and verify the test status.
Old 07-31-2004, 09:37 AM

Good advice Mulder, I'll make sure to pass that along to everyone I know with the AccessPORT.
Old 07-31-2004, 10:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB
It's not just an Accessport thing, it's an OBDII thing. The readiness tests are part of the OBDII standard and are the first thing that shows up when the car is scanned. If they are in a "not ready" state the inspection is over and you fail. It is fortunate that your state allowed for the option of doing a standard sniffer test as an alternative so you were still able to pass, that may not be the case in other states with OBDII testing.
Old 07-31-2004, 01:25 PM
VIP Member

Whats the emission differences between Ohio and California?
Old 07-31-2004, 05:13 PM

CA smog testing also is OBD-II compliant.

The main differences are that CA smog technicians are supposed to conduct a thorough visual check to make sure all factory smog equipment is in place. Examples of what they are supposed to look for are catless exhaust systems or replacement cats, replacement parts like aftermarket intakes and intercoolers without a CARB exemption number, devices which vent intake charge air or modify the signal to the ECU like a blow off valve. They generally don't care about big catback exhaust systems if the factory downpipe and cats are in place on a WRX since a catback is installed after the last cat.

CA still requires all AWD vehicles to undergo a sniffer (tailpipe emissions) test at idle speed and at some higher RPM. Most cars will have little problem passing this portion of the test since it is conducted under no-load conditions. Once the AWD dynos are in place at test centers and the requirement changes, modified turbocharged vehicles are unlikely to pass smog since emissions will be a lot 'dirtier' than stock under load and boost.

I don't know if the law will change to require test centers to obtain the AWD test equipment. Makers of such equipment would love to see such a requirement but owners of smog test centers already spend a bundle on the leasing of current equipment.

--
0==WW==0
Old 07-31-2004, 05:26 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
Once the AWD dynos are in place at test centers and the requirement changes, modified turbocharged vehicles are unlikely to pass smog since emissions will be a lot 'dirtier' than stock under load and boost.

I don't know if the law will change to require test centers to obtain the AWD test equipment. Makers of such equipment would love to see such a requirement but owners of smog test centers already spend a bundle on the leasing of current equipment.
I don't think that they will get AWD dynos. It will be way to expensive and shop owners would complain, because they were forced buying a $40k this two wheel drive dyno. Now that will be useless, because they will have to buy awd. I really don't think it will happen.
Old 07-31-2004, 05:54 PM

Origami posted by Littleboyblue
I don't think that they will get AWD dynos. It will be way to expensive and shop owners would complain, because they were forced buying a $40k this two wheel drive dyno. Now that will be useless, because they will have to buy awd. I really don't think it will happen.
I hope it doesn't happen. My reply is OT to this thread so I posted a more thorough reply in Teh Politics forum.

--
0==WW==0