Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

I have $2500 to spend, what should i get!?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2003, 08:42 PM

I have $2500 to spend, what should i get!?

Ok I just bought my 04 WRX sedan 3 weeks ago and i have about 700 miles on it. I dont plan on doing any engine mods till i get atleast to 1k miles and after the first oil change. I just wanted some opinions on what people would do with $2500. I either want to get 17" 5zigen FN01R-C w/toyo's and a full coil over setup , probably Tiens or something, OR! go for engine mods ie. turboback, cai, bov, etc... What would you do?
Old 12-28-2003, 08:51 PM

Car Info: 1998 Impreza L EJ22
Send a money order to me j/k

I'd go with more engine mods than looks, I personally like sleepers, although it would look good if you decided to go with rims/tires and coilovers.

If you decide to go with engine mods, I'd go with bolt-on's at first, because with a forced induction engine, you will get more out of them. I'd try headers and full exhaust, intake, and maybe some sway bars to stiffen it up a little. Just my .02

Anyway, glad you got a WRX, let me know what you decide.

-Jeremy
Old 12-28-2003, 09:00 PM

i love sleeper look as well

i'd get some new rims and tires
then a turbo back, up pipe and a utec
Old 12-28-2003, 09:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
I dont know how valuable headers are to a rex, check out the suspension forum, i could be worng.
with 2500$ i would get a nice set of wheels and tires, a f & r sway bar, up, cat/turboback, pullies, springs...either that or a vishnu stage 1/2? cant remember which is close to 2500...
but yeah basically bolt ons and a reflash maybe...or go for all handling w/ coilovers and sway bars and basically the works piece by piece(cuz 2500 wont cover everything you'll want)...or do a ltitle bit of everything...liek a reflash, sway bars, springs, break lines, etc...it really depends what you want the final product to be but you have many different options...good luck
Old 12-28-2003, 09:58 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
suspension, thats what i would do
Old 12-29-2003, 08:54 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: A limousine with a chauffer
I would be careful about making any power mods this early on in your ownership of your WRX. I say this because once you start modifying your car, receiving warranty service gets increasingly difficult. If you start doing power mods now, and then have a problem a few thousand miles down the road, you might not be able to get it fixed under warranty, even if you think it is a defect or problem from the factory. I've read on this, and other forums, that a good time to start adding a bit more power is around 10,000 miles. Reason is because by then you should have shaken out any immediate probs from the factory and also your ECU should be all set to your driving style. I've read that the car continues to make power up to about that point while the ECU tunes itself.

For now, I would do some wheels (check out the prodrive wheels - an excellent brand with an incredible Subaru reputation), and check out some Ground Control coil overs with KYB AGX struts. Should be low cost and a great solution for handling. Your car will feel worlds different.
Old 12-29-2003, 04:59 PM
Old School

Car Info: '99 RBP GM6
Definitley get wheels and tires.

If you got with Rotas, you would have over a grand left over for supension pieces. Get some coilovers, Tien SS are nice.

If you are thinking about Rotas, hit us up. www.subydude.com

Tien, and other coilovers are available from www.gruppe-s.com

If you chose not to go with coilovers, and are looking for other suspension bits, visit www.mpjperformance for a wide selection of swaybars, strut tower bars, and bushings.

-Gagan
Old 12-29-2003, 06:46 PM

Car Info: 2006 Spec.B
Wheels and tires should always be the first mod!
Old 12-29-2003, 08:32 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Wheels
Tires
Suspension

Then whatevers left (which wont be much) get some simple engine mods like intercooler piping, boost controlers, uppipe/downpipe/catback, etc.
Old 12-29-2003, 09:19 PM

Car Info: civic
get some condoms, some beer, and some girls

uhm, suspension work, reflash, then after u pass your break in period, turbo back catless UP
Old 12-30-2003, 01:19 AM

lol! Thanks for the advice guys! I think im going to do what sonicsuby said, straight suspension then get on with the engine mods after a good amount of mileage has been put on the car. I found some 17" 5 zigens for $1220 w/tires that i wanted, and i was also looking at some Tien coil overs. Which ones are good for daily driving then a quick change to take it on the track?
Old 12-30-2003, 09:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
what i would do if i were you, First

i bought the teins and they are STIFF...(yes i know that is how they are supposed to be) So what i am saying is that if your car is going to go to the track twice a month get em..If not i would go and get some new tires like some falken azenis, pole positions etc. and then get struts and springs, eibach makes good stuff....

but if you do anything ditch the stock rubber and you will realize the stock car handles pretty good...

If you are going to do power mods then get your ecu tuned and get an uppipe...

I would say go suspension and learn how to controll it and then get power mods....

good luck...

P.S. For wheels i would get some Rotas...great deal for the money...:banana:

Last edited by qwk_wrx; 12-30-2003 at 09:43 AM.

Quick Reply: I have $2500 to spend, what should i get!?