Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

How to get good gas mileage on WRX.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 05:27 PM

gdogg, sweet chart.
Are you a pilot?
Old 06-03-2004, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by dugrant153
the brochure reads 11.7/8.3L per 100km (or something like that) for city/highway mileage.
is this necessarily true? or is this only when you granny drive it?
it's when you granny drive it
Old 06-04-2004, 02:38 PM

Car Info: MY04 WRX
Just a quick sidnote but it is illegal (in CA) to coast a car out of gear (not that you could ever get a ticket for it, besides speeding is illegal but I do that so anyway).

I only bring this up because it is illegal for a reason; it isn't a good/safe idea as stated previously. If you must "coast" do so in gear with the clutch in.

I did a lot of freeway driving recently and stayed at about 70, toward the end of the tank I did some city driving with only about 4 pedal to the floor (what the car is designed for). I got 330 miles on my tank and the gas light turned on as I stopped at the pump. I put in about 13 gallons which gives you a 25MPG rating, not too bad. Driving slower on the Freeway is definitely the key, when I drive 80+ (from Norcal to Socal) I only get about 22-23 mpg. When I drive it like I stole it in the city I get about 20 even. When I drive it like I stole it in the canyons I get a measly 18mpg.

Ok one more side note: If you remove your cats you will also get worse gas mileage (A. because you will drive faster because the car is faster B. the car is not as efficient).

Last edited by SubNub; 06-04-2004 at 02:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-04-2004, 03:34 PM

* keep a safe following distance behind the car in front of you. This prevents you from being forced to participate in "stop and go" even if the cars around you are. I laugh because I usually see everyone around me braking like crazy, which means they'll have to accelerate again, meanwhile I'm just cruising 5 seconds @ 1.5-2k rpm behind the car in front of me. you not only save gas but you conserve your brakes / clutch and do your part to help smooth out traffic.
Of course ********* will come swerving in front of you when you do that.
One time I had a guy behind me go in full blown road rage and pass me on the shoulder because I was keeping a constant speed.
I think the stop-and-go disease is a product of slushboxes. If people actually had to use the clutch they would drive a little smarter.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
In my experience, the worst detriment to your gas mileage is not leadfoot driving -- it is turning on the AC. During the winter and spring here in AZ, you can get away with driving with the AC off in the morning and evenings, and so for about five months of the year I get to have no AC on at all. My average MPG is about 22 then, 300 miles or so until the yellow light.

Come summertime, when turning the AC on is simply a survival necessity (it can get 140 degrees farenheit in a car in about 20 minutes) my miles-per-tank drops to 260-250, as low as 230. This is with no change in my driving habits from my wintertime/non-AC driving. Even with total granny driving (shifting at 2800, gentle on throttle, cruise control at 66 on the highway) I can't get the MPG back above 18. The most I have been able to get on a tank with the AC on was 280, and that was after a full week of driving like a Volkswagen Rabbit and drafting behind every huge pickup truck I could find.

AC is the devil. I'm moving to Alaska.

BTW, it is important to note that your turbocharger is throttle-position sensitive, not RPM sensitive. In other words, it is actually possible to go above 3000 RPMs and not go on boost -- just don't press the throttle down past 70-75%. You will only be on full boost at WOT and 4500-5000 RPMs; check any WRX dyno chart to see what I mean.
Old 06-04-2004, 03:47 PM
Zee

Car Info: 04 White Aspen WRX
To make it flat out easy, just shift under 4k without mods, 3k with mods. Your going to get about 300miles to the tank.

Zee
Old 06-04-2004, 05:54 PM

Funny thing is, with turbo airplane engines the way to get good mileage is WOT, high boost, low RPMs. I tried that in the WRX and it doesn't seem to help. I guess it must be going really rich when there is boost, in order to prevent detonation etc? Whereas on an airplane you have manual mixture control.

Last edited by FUNKED1; 06-04-2004 at 05:56 PM.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:55 PM

"BTW, it is important to note that your turbocharger is throttle-position sensitive, not RPM sensitive"
It's sensitive to both I think. You obviously get more exhaust cfm at wot and 7k rpm than at wot and 2k rpm. Not that I don't agree with your post, just being a nerd.
Old 06-05-2004, 07:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
Yeah, I actually meant to type "not JUST RPM sensitive"... In a hurry, I guess.
Old 06-06-2004, 10:10 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally Posted by FUNKED1
I think the stop-and-go disease is a product of slushboxes. If people actually had to use the clutch they would drive a little smarter.
You just have to deal with the ********* that want to use your space cushion...but I think you hit the nail on the head with the slushbox comment.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:11 PM

Car Info: 1985 Corolla AE82 FWD
heh... as long as they signal a while before cutting ya off, I think it's alright. Atleast you know that they're coming in. Some people just BARGE right into your space cushion... and then brake hard... yah....

Anyways, can you shift the WRX at about 2500 rpm and still go? Or would the turbo lag kick in and really slow down the car? (I'm not too familiar with the WRX gearing, but most of the cars I've driven [automatic, btw] can usually shift around 2500 rpm and still have enough power to keep moving.
Old 06-10-2004, 05:27 PM

Car Info: MY04 WRX
Not to get too off the subject but as a general rule of thumb, when I drive I try my very best to never slow anyone else down. I think all drivers should live by this rule. If you are yielding to traffic then you should never ever slow them down when you merge in. If you want to cut me off, fine, just don't slow me down. I rarely snake traffic but if I am going to I always use my signal and I never slow others down, I accelerate fast enough to not get in their way. The worst ever is when people are coming onto the freeway and the lane ends and there is a merge left and people decide not to do a "One-to-one" merge with other cars (one car on the freeway goes, one car getting on the freeway goes behind and so on). The jerks who decide they are going to go around a car merging and wait till the last second to merge **** me off like nothing else. They slow everything down all over again. So don't do that stuff either!

In review: Don't slow other people down!

Quick Reply: How to get good gas mileage on WRX.