Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

How crucial is the WING!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 03:12 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
You can get .5 psi from a piece of cardboard if the angle is correct. It doesn't take much. F1 wings and the like also generate much more than .5 psi.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:34 PM

nobodys is runing in the GT300!!!!!! go for what u think looks better.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:41 PM

I said that too.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:39 PM

Car Info: 04 Sti blue
Originally Posted by fibinochi_si
Whats up,
ive been reading posts on this site forever and now that i am finally about to purchase an STI once i graduate in May, i wanted to ask a question! If i was to take the wing off of the sti how would that affect the stability and performance of the vehicle? I really like understated sport vehicles, therefore if the sti did not suffer any performance loss i would probably get rid of the rally wing. before the sti i was dead set on buying a wrx wagon because i love a sheeps in wolf clothing, but i just cant pass up the overwhelming perfomance of the sti. (modding a wrx is not an option)

I've been thinking of taking off my wing, but what are you gonna do about the holes, anyone have a low cost solution?
Old 01-06-2005, 04:40 PM

You swap the entire trunk, then swap lock cylinders. See the "Mad Max" Project STi article in SCC for some details. There's also a thread about it in the conversion forum.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:45 PM
VIP Member

Location: Are you too one of the few still living the past? Well I can change that! With a simple wicket. Yes, my friend, a wicket. PM for details.
Car Info: No car right now....sob.
Originally Posted by dyonkim
I've been thinking of taking off my wing, but what are you gonna do about the holes, anyone have a low cost solution?
Swapping the wing is the only real option...simply removing it leaves holes, and I really don't know how you could fill those.

Just find a matching WRX without wing or with the WRX stock wing, and swap trunks, and lock cylinders. Leave the "wing spring" for some turbo wing action!! (Seriously, don't do this...I had a friend smack his jaw beacuse of this...)
Old 01-08-2005, 06:03 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black/Gold STi
I took the wing off mine and rolled it 6months later. Coincidence???
Old 01-08-2005, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by SlickmisterN
I took the wing off mine and rolled it 6months later. Coincidence???
Yes.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
?

Are you SURE?

I've parked my car right next to an 05 and the scoop looks the same size...

Why would they make one year scoop larger?

-GDO
Old 01-08-2005, 09:32 PM

Car Info: 2009 A3 2.0T quattro
Originally Posted by ddalvi
Well keep the wing because the 05 STI Hood scoop is bigger than 04 STI. so if you remove the wing then your car is much more unstable. I was talking with a Subaru technician in Dallas he showed me the difference by getting a 05 STI and a 04 STI side by side. In other words a 04 STI works ok with a WRX trunk but a 05 STI needs the wing to compensate for the wind turbulence generated by the hood scoop.

Rest is your decision.

DD
I'm sorry, but thats the biggest load of BS ever. I am pretty sure the hood scoops are the same on the 2 STi's, but worst case, the scoop on the 05 could be 1/2" taller. If you think that has ANY effect on air that has had to travel over the cabin and back down along the trunk, you are nuts, and so is the Subaru tech.

Theres no way the wing will affect your stability below around 80, and I doubt there is a tremendous difference below 120.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:44 PM
VIP Member

Location: Are you too one of the few still living the past? Well I can change that! With a simple wicket. Yes, my friend, a wicket. PM for details.
Car Info: No car right now....sob.
Originally Posted by ddalvi
Well keep the wing because the 05 STI Hood scoop is bigger than 04 STI. so if you remove the wing then your car is much more unstable. I was talking with a Subaru technician in Dallas he showed me the difference by getting a 05 STI and a 04 STI side by side. In other words a 04 STI works ok with a WRX trunk but a 05 STI needs the wing to compensate for the wind turbulence generated by the hood scoop.

Rest is your decision.

DD
Ummm, no. Wind turbulence caused by the hood scoop? I am pretty sure that the hood scoop directs the air into the intercooler, not make "turbulence." I have ridden in a few 05 STi's without wings, stock beside that, at 85+ miles an hour....[Location undisclosed] Doesn't affect stability too much....If we had the ***** to go faster, maybe, but I highly doubt it.
Old 01-18-2005, 09:47 PM

Red face Wing Fix?

Hi Guys,..or gals,
I have a '04 STi (wht/sil) and w/in 1 week of picking it up (sept. '03) I took the honda magnet off and went stealth by making my own custom caps for the lower wing. It still looks great, keeps those stupid honda's from looking and the cops too and does the same job as if it had the top part on. The top is pure show for the most part, it does not possess enough curvature on the bottom side to induce downforce (at anything approaching under 135 mph) and the top of it is not angled enough to do it either. As for the guy with 250 pounds of downforce I would say that is super optimistic because if you put 250 pound in the rear of your sti it will drop noticeably and at speeds it does not drop that much (4 track days worth of trial and error). The real provider of down force comes from the lower portion which is angled correctly to provide some force (actual amount would need some real scientific data) but it is the work horse of the rear of the vehicle. The top may at most "clean" up the airflow to help stabilize it at the rear of the car but true downforce is generated by the lower half. I am going to make and sell the caps for the lower half which will be paintable to match and easily installed. I still install the top half for track days, but for the rest of the year I live in stealth mode. If you are interested in my caps please email me and I will email pics. (trying to see if there is enough interest to truly produce them?)
Old 01-20-2005, 08:59 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
according to subaru's sales training... the wing is a combination of spoiler/wing combination. the wing which aids in keeping the rear straight at high speeds while the spoiler section provides the majority of the downforce(similar to that of a camaro/mustang) in all reality spoilers create more drag than anything. below 60 mph that is.... if you notice a few german cars where the spoiler stays in until a certain mph..like 40+)

now all that sales mumbo jumbo aside- i like the wing, even though i have only used it to its full potential maybe 3 times- and all those times i did FEEL the difference. how i know this is that a friend of mine switched cars and drove together(his was wingless).

sorry that i have no techie info but i'm sure if you email PRODRIVE maybe they will be kind enough to send you some info on the tech specs of the wing- thats one of their talents in their multi-million dollar operation- studying the STi that is.

aloha from the summit of *-^-Mauna Kea-^-*

Quick Reply: How crucial is the WING!!