Subaru General Anything about Subaru related that would not be more appropriate in another existing i-Club forum.

Help me with removal of 96 impreza shifter

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 07:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 96 Impreza L Sedan
Help me with removal of 96 impreza shifter

I bought a new shifter lever and I can't get the OEM shifter out. Do I have to unbolt it from something under the car, or is it like the RS and you just pull back till it pops out??
Thanks,
Cody
Old 07-24-2003, 09:01 PM
VIP Member

It looks like the RS stock shifter ball is too small and doesn't fit right in the socket, so I went to put my old stock shifter back in and I broke like five of those little pins that stick out on the socket where the ball goes! Now I am skrewd. Should I just go by a new stock shifter assembly? Or should I go for an aftermarket one?
Thanks,
Cody
Old 07-25-2003, 01:27 AM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Whoops, you forgot to do some research...

The Shifter linkage is totally different up to 97 I believe. The newer shifters arent even compatible to begin with. And in order to properly remove the older shifter, you have to use a C-clip tool to remove the C-clip that holds down the plastic piece that you broke aparently so you can remove the shifter.

So basically all you need to do is replace that piece and the C-clip. Go to a dealership and see if you can get the right parts for it. And if you havent figured it out, that RS shifter isnt compatible.

If you want a shorter shifter, you have two choices:

A) Reweld the stock older shifter so that it has a shorter throw (the height remains the same, but the throws are shorter, you do this by rewelding the point where the shifter arm connects to the part that connects to the gearbox up about half an inch so that the fulcrum point makes the shifter shorter)

or

B) Replace all the linkage. HOWEVER this is very difficult, as you also need the double joint that is connected to the gearbox via a pin thats a total BIATCH to remove! (I know, ive done it myself...) And you also have to source out that part from a newere car, as it is not included in any aftermarket kits including the STI shift linkage kits.
Old 07-25-2003, 08:12 AM
VIP Member

Yes, I know now that the RS shifter ISN'T compatable. Unfortunately, I was told that it would work. I really don't know what you are talking about when you refer to the C-clip. Where the shifter ball end goes is into a socket with some pin like prongs. I will have to take a picture to make sure we are talking about the same thing. But while I have the stock shifter out, I might as well relweld the pivot point...and you say to move it up about 1/2 inches???
Thanks,
Cody
Old 07-25-2003, 02:47 PM
VIP Member

Can anyone help me?
Cody
Old 07-25-2003, 09:01 PM
NASIOC Slut

Car Info: 1995 Subaru Impreza 1.8 L
Yes, the ball end is what I mean. That plastic cup part that holds it down, there is a clip that looks like a C that holds the plastic stuff inside the cup in place. In order to properly remove the shift lever ball, you should have had to have removed a clip that is around the top of the plastic part. If you just yanked it out, its all fuxored up like you said.

As for the rewelding, I have a picture so you can compair to how your shifter is stock. Notice the relationship of where the ball is to the point that connects via bolt and how its farther apart than yours: http://community.webshots.com/photo/...38199913BOAenm

Now look closer at your shifter, and see those welds? They can be un-welded so that the piece can be moved.

Im sorry that someone told you wrong, you should have asked here or over on one of the technical forums on NASIOC first to get the right info.
Old 07-28-2003, 02:00 PM
VIP Member

Well, I finally got it to work. I took the RS shifter, got a nylon sleeve and put in on the shaft, then took the ball off of the stock shifter and put it on the RS one, then I grinded down the sides of the pivot point and it works fine now. I am just waiting for the Subaru dealer to get that plastic cup in so I can replace my broken one.
Thanks,
Cody